Campus Events Calendar
Search for Events

· By Day · By Month · By Year ·


Date:

You can search for events by date, type of event and/or keyword, or just browse!

Tickets for many of the events sponsored by the Division of Performing Arts can be purchased online. Performing Arts Events >

Previous Month April 2014 Next Month
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
    1 2 3 4 5
6 7 8 9 10 11 12
13 14 15 16 17 18 19
20 21 22 23 24 25 26
27 28 29 30      

  Events for April 17, 2014

Walk-in Hours at the CDC

- Location: The Steinheim, Career Development Center
(10:00 AM - 4:00 PM)
Alfred University’s Career Development Center has extended walk-in hours for the 2013-14 academic year -Wednesdays and Thursdays, from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

You can drop in with any career-related question and see the next available counselor for 20 to 30 minutes, depending on availability.

If you’re not sure whether or not the walk-in hours are right for your needs, give us a quick call at 607-871-2164 or email us at CDC@alfred.edu. We’re here for you, and we’d love to help you.

Zumba Toning classes

- Location: Multipurpose room, second floor, McLane Annex
(12:00 PM - 12:40 PM)
Join licensed Zumba instructor Denise Eck for toning classes, noon, Tuesdays and Thursdays. $40 for nine sessions.

Bergren Forum - ’Uncertainty ... Killed the Cat’

- Location: Nevins Theatre, Powell Campus Center
(12:10 PM - 1:00 PM)
The Bergren Forum sponsored by the Division of Human Studies and the College of Liberal Arts & Sciences will be meeting at 12:10 p.m. on Thursday, April 17 in the Nevins Theater, Powell Campus Center.

Bring a brown bag lunch; coffee and tea will be provided.

Speaker: Roger Loucks
Topic: "Uncertainity Not Curiosity Killed the Cat! How Quantum Mechanics Actually Works"

Professor of Physics Roger Loucks will explain how quantum mechanics, which many find confusing, boils down to two simple ideas: measurement and spin.

Math Talk: Kazem Mahdavi, ’Game Theory’

- Location: Myer's Hall Room 334
(12:20 PM - 1:20 PM)
Kazem Mahdavi will be giving a Math Talk on Thursday, April 17 at 12:20 p.m. in Myer’s Hall Rm. 334

Game Theory:
Kazem will give an introduction to Game Theory. He will also give some application of Game Theory Furthermore, he will introduce a few different games, and discuss optimum strategies for each of these games.

Join Us for his Sample Calculus Class Talk at 9:20 a.m. on Thursday April 17 in Olin Hall Rm. 207

Don’t Miss Out!

Saxon Swap

- Location: The Launch Pad, Powell Campus Center
(1:00 PM - 5:00 PM)
Purchase or exchange brand-name, gently used clothing. Find great clothes at ridiculously low prices.

Softball @Home

- Location: Harrington Field
(3:00 PM - 7:00 PM)
vs. Pitt-Bradford

Glass Candidate Presentation

- Location: Binns Merrill Hall, Room C
(4:30 PM - 5:30 PM)
Aesa Björk
Date: Thursday, April 17
Time: 4:30-5:30 P.M.
Location: Room C, Binns-Merrill
Cost to Attend: Free/Open to Public

Join the School of Art and Design for a lecture/presentation presented by Aesa Björk candidate for the College of Ceramics assistant/associate professor in glass.

I am fascinated by the boundaries between inner and outer layers of human existence and how we experience ourselves in a given situation. I focus on the observer and the observed and the many layers in-between. From the inside out and outside in, like half-drawn blinds revealing both the inside and outside at once, thus exposing a double reality, a duality inherent in existence. Glass with its inherent dualistic qualities has therefore been a material of choice for much of my work.

Both in my own work and while teaching I love to challenge both the technical and expressive boundaries of the chosen material, even if it results in so called "failure." One of my favorite quotes coming from Becketts Worstward Ho: "Ever tried. Ever failed. No matter. Try again. Fail again. Fail better."

Aesa Björk graduated from the Glass Department of Edinburgh College of Art with a 1st class BA (Hons) degree in 1995 and MDes in 1997.

In 1994 she was an exchange student at VSUP in Prague and studied with Vladímir Kopecky. This both influenced her work and encouraged her in her pursuit of working with glass as a sculptural material.

She has frequented the Pilchuck Glass School as a student and TA since 1998 where in 1999 she also was an Emerging Artist in Residence.

In 2006 she was an Artist-in-Residence at the Corning Museum of Glass. Her work has been shown internationally, she has received numerous grants among them a 3 years working grant from the Norwegian Ministry of Culture.

She has had several public art commissions in Norway where she co-founded the open access gallery and workshop S12 in 2005.

She currently holds a 3 year position as a visiting artist and faculty at the School of Art and Design, Sculpture Dimensional Studies, College of Ceramics at Alfred University.

Mental Health Movie Night

- Location: Nevins Theatre
(7:00 PM - 10:00 PM)
The SQUID and the WHALE movie will be shown THURSDAY 4/17/14. Discussion held immediately after the movie. Refreshments

Coffeehouse Music

- Location: Terra Cotta Coffeehouse
(9:00 PM - 10:00 PM)
Sun Club. Please see CSI office for more details.

Phil the Pig - Beat the Faculty/Staff!

- Location: On-campus buildings & the Student Info. Desk
(All Day)
The Phil the Pig Faculty/Staff - Student Challenge Stars this week! Faculty/Staff has raised 16%, while the students have raised the other 84% of the total amount raised thus far!

The Phil the Pig schedule is below (The event may be held outside these locations depending on weather):

Monday April 14 - Olin: 1 - 3 p.m.
Tuesday April 15 - Powell: 1 - 3 p.m., Ade: 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesday April 16 - Powell: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m., Ade: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday April 17 - Powell: 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 3 - 4:30 p.m.
Friday April 18 - Powell: Noon - 3 p.m. and 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.

Save your loose change and raise more $$$ than the Faculty/Staff!

Proceeds will go towards the Baccalaureate Scholarship, which increases the financial assistance available to all students with financial need.

Phil the Pig - Beat the Students!

- Location: On-campus buildings & the Student Info. Desk
(All Day)
The Phil the Pig Faculty/Staff - Student Challenge is this week!
Faculty/Staff has raised 16%, while the students have raised the other 84% of the total amount raised thus far!

The Phil the Pig schedule is below (The event may be held outside these locations depending on weather):

Monday April 14 - Olin: 1 - 3 p.m.
Tuesday April 15 - Powell: 1 - 3 p.m., Ade: 2:30 p.m. - 4 p.m.
Wednesday April 16 - Powell: 11:30 a.m. -12:30 p.m., Ade: 2:30 - 4:30 p.m.
Thursday April 17 - Powell: 11 a.m. - 1:30 p.m. and 3 - 4:40 p.m.
Friday April 18 - Powell: Noon - 3 p.m. and 3:30 - 4:30 p.m.

Save your loose change and raise more $$$ than the Students!

Proceeds will go towards the Baccalaureate Scholarship, which increases the financial assistance available to all students with financial need.