International Students : How Do I ...?

You will probably have a lot of questions as you get ready to come to Alfred. Below you will find a list of frequently asked questions with information to help you. As always, if you have additional questions, please feel free to contact us.

  • How do I get a Social Security number (SSN)? At the beginning of the semester, the International Students Office will organize a trip to the local SSN office for students who need a SSN. To see if you're eligible for a number and to see what to bring, look at our Visa: Other Issues section.
  • How do I pay taxes? International students are required to submit tax forms even if they earned no money while in the United States. See Visa: Other Issues for more information.
  • How do I report a new address? To report a change in physical address, mailing address, or phone number, contact our office.
  • How do I invite my parents to visit? If your parents want to visit you in America, they may need a visa to do so. For more information on visitor visas, including a list of countries who are part of the visa waiver program, visit the Department of State's website.
  • Can I travel to Canada? With Canada being so close, it is expected that you will want to visit. For more information on traveling to Canada, visit our Visa: Travel section.
  • How do I get authorized for OPT/CPT? If you are interested in employment while at Alfred, there are some strict guidelines you must follow. For more information, visit our Visa: Employment section.
  • How do I register for classes? To see how to look up classes for each semester, visit our Services: Academic section. After you figure out which courses you want to take, you must make an appointment with your advisor to receive a registration PIN.