AU Press Releases
AU’s Brisson, Chambliss earn top honors from UNYSCSA, Empire 8
ALFRED, NY — Alfred University seniors Andrew Brisson (Greenwich, CT/Greenwich) and Kameron Chambliss (Alfred Station, NY/Alfred-Almond) have earned top swimming and diving honors from the Upper New York State Collegiate Swimming Association and Empire 8 Athletic Conference.
The UNYSCSA and Empire 8 each named Brisson Swimmer of the Meet and Chambliss Diver of the Meet after last weekend’s UNYSCSA championship meet, which also serves as the Empire 8 Conference championships. AU finished fourth at the UNYSCSA meet (third among Empire 8 teams), held Feb. 26-28 at Nottingham High School in Syracuse, snapping AU’s three-year run as UNYSCSA and Empire 8 champs.
Chambliss swept the titles in the three-meter and one-meter diving competitions at the UNYSCSA/Empire 8 meet. He automatically qualified for the NCAA Division III championships after earning 466.35 points on the one-meter board and 497.05 points on the three-meter board. This marks the second straight year Chambliss has been named Empire 8 Diver of the Meet; he won Empire 8 crowns in both events last season.
Brisson won two UNYSCSA individual titles — the 200-yard freestyle and 100-yard freestyle — and swam on two relays — the 400-yard medley and 200-yard freestyle — that won UNYSCSA and Empire 8 crowns. Brisson earned NCAA “B” provisional cut times in the 100-yard free (46.42 seconds) and 200-yard free. He also swam on two relays that earned NCAA “B” provisional cuts: the 400-yard medley relay (3:27.83) and 400-yard freestyle relay (3:07.13).
Brisson also earned Second Team Empire 8 all-conference honors in the 50-yard freestyle and 800-yard free relay. He adds to the 200-yard and 100-yard free UNYSCSA and Empire 8 titles he won in 2007, when he was named Empire 8 Rookie of the Year.
Saxons earning all-Empire 8 honors at the conference championships were:
• Sophomore Andrew Moragne (Cleveland, OH/University), juniors Zach Mix (Mt. Morris, NY/Mt. Morris) and Tyler Olsen (Saratoga Springs, NY/Saratoga) and Brisson — First Team, 200-yard freestyle relay.
• Brisson — First Team, 200-yard and 100-yard freestyle; Second Team, 50-yard freestyle.
• Chambliss — First Team, one-meter and three-meter diving.
• Brisson, sophomore Warren Dolben (Rye, NH/Berwick Academy), Mix and Olsen — First Team, 400-yard medley relay.
• Mix — Second Team, 100-yard butterfly.
• Freshman Nate Chapman (Hornell, NY/Hornell), Mix, Olsen and Brisson — Second Team, 800-yard freestyle relay.
• Moragne, junior Dan Steere (Hornell, NY/Alfred-Almond), Olsen and Brisson — Second Team, 400-yard freestyle relay.
Brisson and four other Saxons will now wait to see if their “B” cut times will be strong enough for them to join Chambliss at the NCAA Division championship meet March 17-20 in Minneapolis, MN. Swimming with Brisson (backstroke) on the 400-yard medley relay that won UNYSCSA and Empire 8 titles and earned an NCAA “B” cut is Dolben (breaststroke), Mix (butterfly) and Olsen (freestyle). Moragne, Steere and Olsen join Brisson on the 400-yard free relay.