Engineering Day Camp
July 15 - 18, 2019
Location: McMahon Building, Room 246, Alfred University Campus
Camp Fee: $180 (includes a take-home project campers can keep)
Enrollment Deadline: July 1, 2019
NEW for 2019: CampDoc all-in-one registration system. Learn more about CampDoc!
Top quality instruction and learning materials are provided by All About Learning, Inc., whose classes feature science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) concepts and 21st century educational skills of critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, agility and adaptability, curiosity and imagination.
This camp provides great hands-on learning! Campers will creatively build and modify machines applying basic engineering principles and using Lego kits. These are integrated science and math classes. Campers learn a variety of concepts throughout each 4-day program, including:
- Basic Engineering Principles
- Simple and Compound Machines
- Forces in Motion
- Integrated Problem Solving
- Communication Skills
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Challenging Campers to incorporate the traits of an Engineer in a classroom setting
- Grades 1-3: Campers creatively build and modify machines through basic engineering skills using Lego Bricks kits and curriculum. Provides great hands-on learning and building experiences. Exploration of simple machines at an entry level applied and discussed in depth. Design manuals give kids a real-life experience with design changes just like an Engineer. Includes a take-home project students can keep.
- Grades 4-8: Campers will use Lego Bricks kits to creatively build and modify machines applying basic engineering principles. Throughout the class they will learn a variety of concepts and apply their acquired knowledge about gearing and gear ratios, simple machines, problem solving and communication skills. This challenges students to incorporate the traits of an Engineer in a classroom setting. Includes a Culmination Event at the end of class. Also includes a take-home project students can keep.
Campers attending the morning session (grades 1-3) must be dropped off at the classroom each day by 8:30 AM and must be picked up at 11:30 AM. Campers attending the afternoon session (grades 4-8) must be dropped off at the classroom by 12:30 PM, and picked up no later than 3:30 PM.
How to Enroll:
Enroll as soon as possible as enrollments will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until each session is full. (The minimum enrollment needed to run each class is 12. The maximum allowed for the morning session is 16. The maximum allowed in the afternoon session is 22.)
To enroll, please complete the registration form. (We support the current and previous major releases of Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari on a rolling basis.) The enrollment deadline is July 1, 2019.
Full refunds will be made for cancellations received by June 1, 2019. We cannot make refunds to students who cancel after June 1 because instructors, materials, and classroom spaces are arranged based upon the number of students expected and cannot be changed after that date.
Alfred University is located in the peaceful village of Alfred in Western New York State. Surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful meadows and valleys, Alfred University is the perfect place to spend an enjoyable week doing something you love and meeting other students who share your interests.
The University may cancel any course or activity at any time because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled or postponed, the University will refund registration fees but cannot be held responsible for other costs, charges, or expenses, including cancellation/change charges assessed by airlines or travel agencies.
Whether considering candidates for admission or financial aid, applicants for employment or the management of its policies and school-administered programs, Alfred University does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, or disability. Alfred University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.