English Equestrian Day Camp
Registration is now open!
The English Equestrian Institute is a week-long summer program for riders aged 14-17.
This program accommodates hunt seat riding based on the gifts and needs of the rider. Participants have lots of fun, refine their skills and have plenty of time to get to know the horses and each other!
Monday, July 10 - Friday, July 14th, 2023
Cost of Institute:
The English Equestrian Institute provides students with the opportunity to ride in a collegiate level program and learn what it is like to be an equestrian college athlete. This program offers a wonderful opportunity for all levels of riders from beginners through advanced to define and achieve their personal riding goals during an exciting, fun-filled week.
Participants can bring their own horses or use AU's great lesson horses. They'll ride and care for the horse throughout the week as they refine their skills - with an emphasis on having fun and enjoying our beautiful natural surroundings while learning.
All programs are held at AU's Bromeley-Daggett Equestrian Center. This spacious equestrian center includes classrooms, viewing areas, a 200' x 80' indoor arena, 50 stalls and two outdoor arenas: 200' x 100' and 80' x 100'.
We also offer a Western Equestrian Day Camp if interested.
During the program:
- We work with participants individually to help them define realistic personal goals at the beginning of the week and their lessons are then directed toward helping them achieve those goals
- We have two riding sessions each day
- A student show is held at the end of the week to allow riders to demonstrate the skills they have learned for their families, their instructors and other University staff
How to Apply:
Participants who wish to enroll in the program must complete the CampDoc online registration form. (We support the current and previous major releases of Google Chrome, Firefox, Microsoft Edge, and Safari on a rolling basis.)
Camp Registration Portal (CampDoc)
CampDoc Registration Instructions
Participants will be accepted on a first-come, first-serve basis. To ensure quality instruction and maximum participation, enrollment is limited. The program will fill up fast, so it is a good idea to enroll as early as possible.
Theresa Shattan is the Coach of both our IHSA Hunt Seat team and IDA Dressage team. Theresa has been in the horse industry for over 22 years riding, working, and training. She has completed a Master's in Education and Bachelor's in Equestrian Studies. Theresa strives to create a fun learning environment where her students can continually grow and develop their horsemanship skills both in and out of the saddle.
Once participants are accepted they will be provided a link to complete the required documents (parental permissions to attend as well as health records). Updated immunization information (including dates) is also required at that time. If you do not have updated immunization information on hand, you may want to acquire this from your physician now to avoid delays.
Sorry, there are no scholarships or other forms of financial aid available.
- "I loved all of the riding classes and learning so much on equestrian topics. Thanks for a great equestrian experience! " - Emily G. from Coudersport, PA
- "This camp was great! I liked the jumping classes because I learned a lot and it was so much fun riding Duke!" - Olivia B. from Cazenovia, NY
- "I liked everything. Riding horses and being with them was great! I liked being at the barn and loved being around the horses!" - Natalie G. from Coudersport, PA
- "I loved the driving class - the instructor was amazing!" - Rachel C. from Chemung, NY
- "I loved painting the horses and grooming them after a nice lesson, because everything is so relaxed and laid back, and everyone's very helpful and fun." - Ann S. from Marlton, NJ
- "I learned so much, ranging from English to western to jumping to driving, and it was a really great experience!" - Hannah W. from Westerlo, NY.
- "I liked the riding because Nancy is awesome and I fell in love with my horse!" - Liz B. from Centerport, NY
Alfred University is located in the peaceful village of Alfred in Western New York State, where summer days are warm and nights are cool and comfortable. Surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful meadows and valleys, Alfred University is the perfect place to spend an enjoyable week doing something you love and meeting other students who share your interests.
The campus, a 6-hour drive from New York City, 2 hours from Buffalo, and 1 1/4 hours from Rochester, is easily accessible by car or bus from all directions and is just five miles south of Interstate 86. The nearest major airport is the Rochester International Airport (about 65 mi. north). Transportation to/from that airport can be provided for an additional charge if we receive your request by the due date indicated in your enrollment confirmation letter. After that date, participants must make their own arrangements with an airport limo service.
The University may cancel any course or activity at any time because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled or postponed, the University will refund registration fees, but cannot be held responsible for other costs, charges, or expenses, including cancellation/change charges assessed by airlines or travel agencies.
Whether considering candidates for admission or financial aid, applicants for employment or the management of its policies and school-administered programs, Alfred University does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, or disability. Alfred University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.