" They don't care how much you know until they know how much you care- George Leavens "
- Certificate in Online Teaching and Training, Coastal Carolina University, 2016
- Doctor of Musical Arts in Wind Band Conducting (related area in Music Education), University of Nebraska-Lincoln, 2013
- Master of Arts in Education (Educational Administration and Leadership), Chapman University, 2009
- Master of Music in Music, University of Nevada, Las Vegas, 2007
- Bachelor of Music in Music (with Teaching Certification), Tarleton State University, 2005
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- bands, wind band conducting, music,
Dr. Raul G. Barcenes currently serves as Assistant Professor of Music at Alfred University where his primary assignment is conducting bands and teaching courses in the Department of Performing Arts. Prior to this, he taught band and orchestra at Orr Middle School, a Title I, Tier I institution in the Clark County School District where he helped ensembles and music participation in one of the most urban areas in Las Vegas. Prior appointments include faculty positions at Nevada State College, Coastal Carolina University, Elon University and in the public schools of California and Texas.
He has served in a variety of service roles, but most notably was the Professional Development chair for the 2019 Nevada Music Educators Association and brought back the professional development component to the state conference. He also was involved in creating the first mariachi all-state ensemble in the state of Nevada. He is active as a clinician, consultant, and has presented at state conferences throughout the United States.