- PhD: Counseling Psychology Boston College, 1988
- MEd: Counseling St. Lawrence University, 1975
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- Cerio, J. (2001). The little leaf story: A transition ritual. In C. Schaefer and H. Kadison (Eds.), 101 Favorite play therapy techniques: Volume II. New York: Jason Aronson.
- Cerio, J. (2001). Play therapy interventions with young school aged children. In J. Carlson & B. Waterman (Eds.), Social and personal assessment of school-aged children: Interventions for educational and clinical use. Boston: Allyn and Bacon.
- Gaughan, E., Cerio, J.D., and Meyers, R.A. (2001). Lethal violence in schools: A national survey. Alfred, NY: Alfred University Press.
- Cerio, J. (2000). Play therapy: A do-it-yourself guide for practitioners. Alfred, NY: Alfred University Press.
- Cerio, J. (2000). Play therapy: A primer for school psychologists. New York School Psychologist, 19 (3), 2-4.
- Cerio, J., and Boehm-Morelli, H. (1999). Future directions in play therapy research. Journal for the Professional Counselor, 14, 81-87.
- Cerio, J., Taggart, T., and Costa, L. (1999). Play therapy training practices for school counselors: Results of a national survey. Journal for the Professional Counselor, 14, 57-67.
- Lebitz-Guidici, K., and Cerio, J. (1999). A comparison of the effects of two family play therapy activities on preference, comfort, and satisfaction in family therapy. Journal for the Professional Counselor, 14, 69-80.
- Cerio, J. (1997). School phobia: A family systems approach. Elementary School Guidance and Counseling, 31, 180-191.
- Cerio, J. (1995). Systems troubleshooting for school counselors. Journal for the Professional Counselor 10, 39-48.
- Cerio, J. (1995). Family systems approaches: Applications in the schools. Byways, 6 (1), 2-3.
- Cerio, J. (1994). Play therapy: A brief primer for counselors. Journal for the Professional Counselor, 9, 73-80.
- Cerio, J. (1993). A comparison of cognitive and affective methods of pre-counseling orientation. The New York State Journal for Counseling and Development 8, 55-63.
- Cerio, J., and Gaughan, E. (1993). Family counseling in the schools. The School Psychologist, 11, 17 and 22.
- Cerio, J. (1992). The family intervention action team: Putting family systems to work in the schools. The Family Psychologist, 8, (3), 22/29.
Affiliations & Memberships
- Licensed Psychologist, USA
- Certified School Psychologist, USA
- Certified School Counselor, USA
Areas of Concentration
- School Psychology
- Family Therapy
- Play Therapy
- Personality Assessment
- Cultural Diversity