- BA: International Relations/Anthropology California State University Chico, 1983
- MA: Journalism University of Missouri Columbia, 1985
- PhD: Mass Media/Journalism Michigan State University, 1997
- Beginning to advanced reporting
- Feature, opinion and screenplay writing
- International/global journalism
- Communication and media innovations
- Pop culture
- Mass media and society
- News/media literacy
- Media coverage of gender, race, class, minorities and social justice issues
- Women's and Gender Studies
- Global Studies
- First-Year Experience
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- U.S. and Global Journalism Education, Professional Practices and Innovations; American China News Coverage; Social Construction of Knowledge
- Critical Perspectives on Journalistic Beliefs and Actions: Global Experiences, co-editor, Routledge (July, 2018).
- Global Journalism Education in the 21st Century: Challenges and Innovations, editor and contributor (with co-editor Elanie Steyn), Knight Center for Journalism in the Americas (April, 2017).
- "World Journalism Education Congress offers recommendations for building identity and integrity in Journalism Education," ASJMC Insights (autumn, 2017): 12-18.
- "Syndicate Finding Report-Backs," WJEC website (WJEC.net; summer, 2016)
- "World Journalism Education Congress explores methods for renewing journalism through education," ASJMC Insights (spring, 2014): 26-36.
- "World Journalism Congress finds numerous issues of international scope," ASJMC Insights (spring 2011): 18-27.
- "Dateline South Africa: The 2010 World Journalism Education Congress-- July 5-7, Rhodes University, Grahamstown," International Communication Bulletin, 44 (3-4, fall 2009):2-7.
- "The World Journalism Education Congress' Syndicate Reports: Practical Tips for Improving Journalism Education Today," International Communication Bulletin 42 (3-4, fall 2007):48-58.
- "Eight Approaches to Improving Journalism Education Worldwide," ASJMC Insights (fall 2007):11-18.
- "Internationalizing Journalism and Mass Communication Units," ASJMC Insights (spring 2005):24-34.
- "A World Journalism Education Congress Update," International Communication Bulletin 40 (3-4, fall 2005): 1-4.
- "50 Fabulous Ways to Internationalize your Journalism and Mass Communication Courses," AEJMC's International Communication Division (January 2005): 1-51.
- "The Proposed First Step Toward Internationalizing AEJMC: Creating a World Journalism Education Congress," International Communication Bulletin 39 (3-4, fall 2004): 2-11.
- "AEJMC's Road to Internationalization," International Communication Bulletin 38 (1-2, spring 2003): 2-11.
- "The Post-Cold War Bulgarian Media: Free and Independent at Last?" International Communication Bulletin 35 (5-6, fall 2000): 10-17.
- "Prestige Press Coverage of US-China Policy During the Cold War’s Collapse and Post-Cold War Years: Did a Deteriorating Cold War Paradigm Set the Stage for More Independent Press Coverage" (1999). Gazette: The International Journal for Communication Studies, 61, 5.
- "How two papers covered president and congress in China trade controversy," Newspaper Research Journal 19 (4, fall 1998): 40-57.
- "Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O’Connor’s First Amendment Approach to Free Expression: A Decade in Review" (1993). Communications and the Law, 15, 4.
Awards/HonorsWorld Journalism Education Congress (WJEC) Executive Official and Syndicate Chair, 2007-present
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Spirit of Service Award recognition, AU and Alfred State, Spring 2013, 2016, 2017
AU Director of Communication Studies Program, 2007-9, Spring 2016
AU Research Mentorship Award, Spring 2016
Finance Committee, Association for Education in Journalism and Mass Communication (AEJMC), 2013-16
AU Abigail Allen Award for contributions to the Women's and Gender Studies community and AU community at large, 2015
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Foundation Fellow, 2008
External Reviewer, Sonoma State University's Communication Studies Program, CA, 2008
Represented AU Communication Studies Program in Istanbul, Turkey, 2007
AEJMC Journalism and Mass Communication Leadership Institute for Diversity (JLID) Fellow, 2005-6
AEJMC International Communication Division (ICD) Head, 2004-5
AU Student Senate Excellence in Teaching Award, 2002