- Katarina Riesing
- BA: Art, Anthropology, Smith College, 2005
- MFA: Interdisciplinary Art, University of Wisconsin, Madison, 2009
Specialties / Areas of Interest
Katarina Riesing is originally from Knoxville, TN. She studied Art and Anthropology at Smith College and painting at UW Madison. Katarina has shown her work nationally and internationally. She is represented by Bertrand Productions in Philadelphia and Asya Geisberg Gallery in NYC.
- ART 101 Foundations
- ART 102 Introduction to Fiber Arts
- Special Topics Advanced Drawing
- Special Topics Alter Egos and Other Selves (Honors)
- Special Topics Cult(ure) (Honors)
- Senior Advising Common Ground
Featured Exhibits / Shows
- Razor Burn (solo show), Asya Geisberg Gallery 2020
- Magic Touch (group show), Dinner Gallery, NYC 2021
- Shag (group show), Nashville, TN 2021
- Metal, Foam and Lace (2 person show), Spring Break Art Show, NYC 2019
- Ariadne Unraveling (group show), Asya Geisberg Gallery, NYC 2019
- Fancy Pants (2 person show), Bertrand Productions, Philadelphia 2018
- Excellence in Teaching Awards 2015, 2020
I grew up in a family of artists so art was always all around me. In school I gravitated towards figurative works and it's become the core of my practice. My interest in fiber arts started as an impulse decision to take a surface design class at the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT) in NYC. I spent a semester learning the traditional art of silk painting and have been doing it ever since.
In Foundations I love that I get to meet ALL the BFA students who come through our program! It's really special to work with these artists as first year students and then see all their ideas and skills culminate in their senior thesis shows. I also really appreciate my colleagues. They are my friends, endless sources of inspiration, collaborators and incredible artists and thinkers.
Outside the classroom I love to read; mostly novels, science-fiction and murder mysteries. You will most often find my working on my embroidery projects in front of the tv. I'll watch almost anything but especially love dark British murder mysteries. I also am an avid swimmer, and I try and take my dog, Franny, for a hike every day.