- Maureen Weiss
- BFA: Acting, University of Southern California (USC)
- MFA: Scenic Design, California State University at Long Beach (CSULB)
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- Post-Modern Theatre Practices
- Performance Art
- Scenic Design / Public Art / Installation Art
Maureen entered the world of theatrical design through a very circuitous route. Curious as to why all the small stages were black boxes and she lived in a world of color- she began painting the walls to reflect the stories that she wanted to tell. Starting as an actor and then venturing into the world of directing- she realized that it was the visual world of the story that interested her most. It is in that world that she has continued to exist. Her designs are not safe but reflective of the world she inhabits daily.
With a BFA from The University of Southern California, and an MFA from Cal State University of Long Beach, Maureen has been designing theatre for the past fifteen years. She recently made a big move to New York, where she is currently an Associate Professor of Performance Design and Technology at Alfred University.
She spends her days wondering when the snow will melt, whether you can keep deer for pets, and if her students think she has a California accent. And sometimes when she isn't having such deep thoughts, she also gets to paint the theatre spaces with her own brand of color.
- PDAT 220 Design Fundamentals
- PDAT/THEA 222 Stage Makeup
- PDAT 320 Scene Design
- PDAT 315 Advanced Design Seminar
- THEA 212 Page to Stage: Script Analysis
- PDAT 200 Costume Design for Dance
- THEA 110 FYE Intro to Theatre
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- Author - Teaching the Epiphany at Hawaii University International Conferences for Arts, Humanities, Social Science and Education 2020
- Author - Many Voices, Theories, and References: On Designing Sondheim