|Alfred University Contact Info|
Executive Certification: Startegy and Innovation
Sloan School of Management, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2007
Ph. D.: Ceramic Engineering/Materials Science and Engineering
Georgia Institute of Technology, Atlanta, USA, 1994
M.Tech.: Materials Science and Engineering
Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur, India, 1986
Dr. Sundaram is an Inamori Professor of Materials Science and Engineering at Alfred University (starting from January 1, 2011). Before joining Alfred University, Dr. Sundaram was a Materials Scientist at Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). He joined the PNNL in 1994 as a post-doctoral fellow and became a Senior Research Scientist in 1996. He was promoted to Chief Materials Scientist in January 2002. On technical front, he has been working on several aspects of advanced transformational materials science and engineering, focused on glass, ceramics, and semiconductors for various applications in energy, environment, health care, and national security. Dr. Sundaram’s major areas of interest and contributions are:
THz/millimeter wave science and technology
Ultrafast materials science and engineering
Multi-scale materials processing
Live-cell vibrational spectroscopy for rapid screening
Dr. Sundaram is internationally recognized for interdisciplinary research. He has made over 100 technical presentations, edited/contributed to 11 books, published over 75 peer-reviewed publications and technical reports, mentored/supported over 40 students, and organized/co-organized several national and international symposia on advanced topics in materials science. He also has three issued patents and two provisional patent applications.
Fellow, American Association for the Advancement of Science (2006)
Fellow, American Ceramic Society (2006)
Fellow Society of Glass Technology, UK (2009)
Life Member: Indian Ceramic Society, Materials Research Society-India
Member, New York Academy of Sciences (invitational), National Institute of Ceramic Engineers, Ceramics Educational Council, Materials Research Society, The International Society for Optical Engineering (SPIE), American Physical Society, American Society for Engineering Education
Honor Societies: Keramos, Sigma Xi, and Order of Engineer (2006)
|Honors and Awards|
Federal Laboratory Consortium (FLC) Technology Transfer Award for "IncubATR® - Live-cell Monitor", 2011; R&D 100 Award for "IncubATR® - Live-cell Monitor", 2010; R&D 100 Award for "Multiscale Materials Processing", 2008; Roland B. Snow Award, Placed 1st in Ceramographic Competition under Combined Techniques category - "Discovery of Metastable Crystalline Phases in Cd-Ge-As Glass," Team: BR Johnson, BJ Riley, JV Crum, SK Sundaram, Chuck Henager, Jr., DJ Edwards, and AL Schemer-Kohrn, MS&T2007, Detroit, MI, 2007; Outstanding Performance Award, PNNL, 2008, 2007, 2004, 2002, 2001, 2000; R&D 100 Award for "Milliwave Thermal Analyzer", 2006; Siemens Foundation Award for outstanding service as a competition judge for Materials Science at the Siemens Westinghouse Competition, 2005; Invited by the National Academy of Engineering and Alexander von Humboldt Foundation to attend German-American Frontiers of Engineering, Ludwigsburg, Germany, April-May, 2003, Outstanding Mentor, Office of Science, Department of Energy, Fellowship Programs, 2002; Nominated for Battelle’s Community Spirit Award, 2001, 2002, 2005; Laboratory Director’s Fitzner-Eberhardt Award for outstanding contributions to Science and Engineering Education, 2001; R&D 100 Award for "Milliwave Viscometer", 2001; Nominated and invited by the National Academy of Engineering to participate in the "Frontiers of Engineering" program, March 2001; Best Paper Award for Nuclear & Environmental Division of the American Ceramic Society, 2001; Won Battelle’s Science & Technology Challenges Award, April 2001.
1. S. K. Sundaram, C. H. Henager Jr, D. J. Edwards, A. L. Schemer-Kohrn, M. Bliss, and B. R. Riley, "Electron Backscatter Diffraction Analysis of a CZT Growth Tip from a Vertical Gradient Freeze Furnace," Journal of Crystal Growth, in press (available online) (2011) [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.jcrysgro.2011.02.008].
2. R. Golovchak, O. Shpotyuk, A. Kozdras, B. J. Riley, S. K. Sundaram, and J. S. McCloy, "Radiation Effects in Physical Aging of Binary As-S and As-Se Glasses," Journal of Thermal Analysis and Calorimetry, 103  213-8 (2011) [http://dx.doi.org/10.1007/s10973-010-0876-8].
3. S. K. Sundaram, C. H. Henager Jr, D. J. Edwards, A. L. Schemer-Kohrn, M. Bliss, B. R. Riley, M. B. Toloczko, and K. G. Lynn, "Hierarchical Microstructures in CZT," Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research Section A: Accelerators, Spectrometers, Detectors and Associated Equipment (available online) (2011) [http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.nima.2010.09.128].
4. J. S. McCloy, S. K. Sundaram, J. Matyas, and P. P. Woskov, "Simultaneous Measurement of Temperature and Emissivity of Lunar Regolith Simulant using Dual-Channel Millimeter-Wave Radiometry." Review of Scientific Instruments, 82(5), 054703 (2011). doi:10.1063/1.3590016
5. J. S. Chun, J. S. McCloy, J. V. Crum, and S. K. Sundaram, "Millimeter Wave Rheometry: Theory and Experiment." Rheologica Acta, 50(2), 125-130 (2011). doi:10.1007/s00397-010-0522-1.
6. J. S. McCloy, B. J. Riley, S. K. Sundaram, H. A. Qiao, J. V. Crum, and B. R. Johnson, "Structure-Optical Property Correlations of Arsenic Sulfide Glasses in Visible, Infrared, and Sub-millimeter Regions," Journal of Non-Crystalline Solids, 356[25-27], 1288-93 (2010) [10.1016/j.jnoncrysol.2010.04.018].
7. J. S. McCloy, K. A. Korolev, Z. Li, M. N. Afsar, and S. K. Sundaram, "Millimeter-Wave Dielectric Properties of Single-Crystal Ferroelectric and Dielectric Materials," IEEE Transactions on Ultrasonics, Ferroelectrics, and Frequency Control, 58, 18-29 (2010) [http://dx.doi.org/10.1109/TUFFC.2011.1770].
8. S. K. Sundaram and PP Woskov, "Novel Millimeter Wave Sensor Concepts for Energy, Environment, and National Security," Proceedings of 34th International Conference on Infrared, Millimeter, and Terahertz Waves (IRMMW-THz 2009), Busan, South Korea, 2009.
9. B. R. Johnson, J. V. Crum, S. K. Sundaram, R. M. Van Ginhoven, C. E. Seifert, B. J. Riley, J. V. Ryan, "DC Ionization Conductivity of Amorphous Semiconductors for Radiation Detection Applications," IEEE Transactions on Nuclear Science, 56 (3), Part 2, 863-868, June 2009.
10. B. R. Johnson, B. J. Riley, S. K. Sundaram, J. V. Crum, C. H. Henager Jr., Y. Zhang, V. Shutthanandan, C. E. Seifert, R. M. Van Ginhoven, C. E. Chamberlin, A. A. Rockett, D. N. Hebert, A. R. Aquin, "Synthesis and Characterization of Bulk, Vitreous Cadmium Germanium Arsenide," Journal of American Ceramic Society, 92(6), 1236-1243 (2009).
11. S. V. N. T. Kuchibhatia, S. Y. Hu, Z. Q. Yu, V. Shutthanandan, Y. L. Li, P. Nachimuthu, W. Jiang, S. Thevuthasan, C. H, Henager, Jr., and S. K. Sundaram, "Morphology, Orientation Relationship, and Stability Analysis of Cu2O Nanoclusters on SrTiO3(100)," Applied Physics Letter, 95, 053111 (2009).
12. S. K. Sundaram, K. I. Johnson, J. Matyas, R. E. Willifors, S. P. Pilli, and V. N. Korolev, "An Integrated Approach to Coal Gasifier Testing, Modeling, and Process Optimization," Energy & Fuels, 23, 4748-4754 (2009).
13. S. Sundaram, S. K. Sundaram, and P. P. Woskov, "Real-time Non-contact Millimeter Wave Characterization of Water-Freezing and Ice-Melting Dynamics," J. Infrared. Milli Terahertz Waves, 30, 393-400 (2009).
14. J. A. Bamberger, M. S. Greenwood, B. D. Lawler, S. K. Sundaram, E. B. K. Baer, B. K. Hatchell, D. F. Hopkins, L. J. Kirihara, M. S. Pekour, S. Sande, X. Y. Yu, and N. Zuljevic, "Evaluating Concentration Profiles during Unsteady Mixing," Proceedings of IMECE2009, ASME International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition, Lake Buena Vista, Florida, USA, November 13-19, 2009.
15. C. H. Henager, Jr., D. J. Edwards, A. L. Schemer-Kohrn, S. K. Sundaram, B. J. Riley, and M. Bliss, "Electron Backscatter Diffraction of a Ge Growth Tip from a Vertical Gradient Freeze Furnace," Journal of Crystal Growth, 311, 10-14 (2008).
16. S. P. Pilli, K. I. Johnson, R. E. Williford, S. K. Sundaram, V. N. Korolev, and J. V, Crum, "Modeling of Time Varying Slag Flow in Coal Gasifiers," in Proceedings of the 25th Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, 3, 1702-1711(2008). University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
17. K. I. Johnson, R. E. Williford, J. Matyas, S. P. Pilli, S. K. Sundaram, and V. N. Korolev, "Modeling Slag Penetration and Refractory Degradation Using the Finite Element Method," in The Twenty-Fifth Annual International Pittsburgh Coal Conference, 3, 1687-1701. University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA.
18. J. Matyas, S. K. Sundaram, B. J. Hicks, A. B. Edmondson, B. M Arrigoni, "Slag-Refractory Interaction in Slagging Coal Gasifiers," Materials Science Forum, 595-598, 397-405 (2008).
19. B. J. Riley, S. K. Sundaram, B. R. Johnson, and L. V. Saraf, "Differential etching of chalcogenides for infrared photonic waveguide structures," J. Non-Cryst. Solids, 354, 813-816, 2008.
20. R. E. Williford, K. I. Johnson, and S. K. Sundaram, "Modeling of High-Chromia Refractory Spalling in Slagging Coal Gasifiers," Ceramics International, 34(8), 2085-2089 (2008). doi:10.1016/j.ceramint.2007.08.011
21. R. E. Williford, K. I. Johnson, S. K. Sundaram, and S. P. Pilli, "Effective Diffusivity and Spalling Models for Slagging Coal Gasifiers." Journal of the American Ceramic Society 91(12), 4016-4022 (2008). doi:10.1111/j.1551-2916.2008.02755.x
22. D. Dutta, S. K. Sundaram, B. J. Riley, L. S. Fifield, J. M. Jacobs, G. A. Kaysen, B. M. Moudgil, and T. J. Weber, "Adsorbed Proteins Influence the Biological Activity and Molecular Targeting of Nanomaterials," Tox. Sci., 100(1), 303-315 (2007).
23. S. K. Sundaram, P. P. Woskov, K. Hadidi, D. E. Daniel, Jr., and D. H. Miller, "Millimeter-Wave Diagnostics for Vitrification Plants, in Proceedings of IRMMW-THz 2006, September 18-21, Shanghai, China, 2006.
24. P. J. Allen, B. R. Johnson, R. T. Baran, N. C. Anheier, Jr., S. K. Sundaram, M. H. Engelhard, and B. T. Broocks, "Surface Degradation of As2S3 Thin Films," Physics and Chemistry of Glasses, 47(6), 681-687 (2006).
25. B. J. Riley, B. R. Johnson, S. K. Sundaram, M. H. Engelhard, R. E. Williford, and J. D. Olmstead, "Pressure-Temperature Dependence of Nanowire Formation in the Arsenic-Sulfur system," Physics and Chemistry of Glasses, 47(6), 675-680 (2006).
26. P. Lucas, E. A. King, A. D. Horner, B. R. Johnson, and S. K. Sundaram, "Photostructural Relaxation in As-Se-S glasses: Effect of Network Fragility," J. Non-Cryst. Sol., 352, 2067-2072 (2006).
27. S. K. Sundaram, P. E. Keller, B. J. Riley, J. E. Martinez, B. R. Johnson, P. J. Allen, L. V. Saraf, N. C. Anheier, Jr., and F. Liau, "Infrared Photonic Band Gap materials and Structures," Proc. of SPIE, 6128, 612807-1 - 9 (2006).
28. B. R. Johnson, M. J. Schweiger, S. K. Sundaram, "Chalcogenide Nanowires by Evaporation-Condensation," J. Non-Cryst. Sol., 351, 1410-1416, 2005.
29. P. P. Woskov, S. K. Sundaram, W. E. Daniel, Jr. and D. H. Miller, "Molten Salt Dynamics on Glass Melt using Millimeter-Wave Emissivity Measurements," J. Non-Cryst. Sol., 341, 21-25, 2004.
30. S. K. Sundaram and E. Mazur, "Inducing and Probing Nonthermal Transitions in Semiconductors Using Femtosecond Laser Pulses," Nature Materials, 1(4), 217-224, 2002.
Download Vitae Document
Faculty and Staff