International Students : Visas

You have been admitted to the United States on an F-1 or J-1 student visa. In order to maintain your F-1 or J-1 status, you must follow the guidelines below:

  • Maintain a full load of courses while here (12 credits for undergraduates; 9 credits for graduate students). Should unforeseen circumstances arise which force you to decrease your course load, or drop a class, you first should discuss the change with the Office of International Programs to learn of the impact the change in class load would have on your legal status as a foreign student.
  • Keep us informed about where you live. If you move and/or change your mailing address, you must notify us at the Office of International Programs within ten days of filing the Change of Address form.
  • Maintain a good academic and disciplinary record. Lack of attendance, academic failure or other types of violations of the university's policies may jeopardize your standing as a student and result in expulsion. Expulsion from the school which has issued you the most current Form I-20 would cause you to lose the status of Foreign Student and the right to legally remain in the United States. Under such circumstances, the student is expected to depart the United States immediately.
  • Keep your passport valid at all times. The passport must be valid for at least 6 months into the future on the day you return to the United States from a trip abroad.
  • Make sure to get authorization from the Office of International Programs before accepting any sort of employment.