An interdenominational religious chapel, The Gothic is all that remains of what was built in 1851 as a private home. The wood-frame structure was acquired by the University in 1876 and was used as a classroom, library, student housing and even a chemistry lab. From 1901 to 1955, it was home to the School of Theology. The west wing contained a chapel that was the scene of many a wedding for Alfred students, alumni and community members.
In 1956, the University decided to tear down the building to make way for Herrick Library, but alumni, faculty and townspeople were upset that such a beautiful building with so many memories for generations of alumni and townspeople was going to be lost. The University agreed to preserve the chapel wing and move it to its present location at the corner of Ford and Sayles Streets.