Athletes, coaches and administrators believed that hazing prevention requires a clear anti-hazing message; an expectation of responsibility, integrity and civility; and structured initiation rites that build teams and encourage bonding.
Send a clear anti-hazing message:
- Develop a written anti-hazing policy for athletes with clear definitions and consequences.
- Educate the administration, coaching staff and athletes on the policy and definition.
- Develop a contract for student athletes regarding hazing and alcohol consumption.
- Establish a record of taking strong action against suspected and known cases of hazing.
- Immediately notify security or law enforcement of any suspected hazing incident.
Expect responsibility, integrity and civility:
- Discuss the meaning of the anti-hazing message with the president, student affairs officers, athletic department and athletes.
- Require coaches to screen recruits for behavioral and academic problems.
- Write a policy outlining coaches' and host students' behaviors for overnight recruitment visits.
- Require each coach to meet personally with each student host prior to recruitment visits.
- Make athletes' behavior on and off the field a part of each coach's evaluation.
Offer team-building initiation rites:
- Write a policy on the philosophy and goals of initiation rites in athletics.
- Train coaches and athletes on the importance of initiation rites and the ways to conduct them.
- Integrate initiation philosophy and goals into team goal-setting and problem-solving.
- Develop community events for the entire athletic department.
- Require organized initiation events for each team prior to each season.
- Recognize athletes as leaders in academic, personal, business and community arenas.
- Rely on the Student Athletic Advisory Committee to promote acceptable initiation rites.
- Participating and Supporting Institutions
- Executive Summary
- What are Initiation Rites and Hazing?
- How Many Athletes are Hazed?
- Who is Most at Risk? Where are Hot Spots?
- How Do We Stop Hazing?
- Hazing Study PDF Format