Focus on living and learning
The Office of Residence Life is committed to providing an environment where opportunities and experiences for learning outside the classroom exist that challenge and support the development of students in becoming mature, responsible community members. Our well-trained and diverse team serve as role models and act as a resource within the residence halls and University, promoting the celebration of differences, supporting students' academic success and overall achievement.
Alfred University is a residential university. We believe that residence hall living is a key component of a student-centered educational experience in which academic learning is integrated with student development. For this reason, students are required to live on campus for their first, sophomore, and junior years.
Students who are in good academic standing at the end of the fall semester prior to spring housing sign-ups may be eligible to move off campus. Alfred University does not provide graduate or married student housing.
Exemptions from the residency requirement
Students who are 23 or older, married, a veteran or commuting from a permanent home or primary residence of a parent/legal guardian within a 60 mile drive of campus, may be eligible for an exemption from the on-campus housing requirement. Students who wish to be considered for an exemption must fill out the Residency Requirement Waiver and return it to Melanie Auman, Assistant Director of Residence Life, Bartlett Hall, One Saxon Dr., Alfred, NY, 14802.
Alfred University offers students several distinct living styles and communities (First Year, comprised of only First Year students; Mixed class, comprised of all class years; and Upper class, comprised of Sophomores, Juniors and Seniors). All residence halls are co-ed, either by floor or by room/suite/apartment (same gender in room). Bathrooms are designated male or female, and in some cases gender neutral. Click on the "Guide to Residence Hall Living" below for more specific hall information. We offer a variety of housing options:
- Traditional corridor-style room
- Suites and apartments for small groups
- Single rooms
- Living-Learning Communities
- Alfred Al Fresco at Barresi (first year students)
- Alfred Al Fresco at Joel's House (upperclass students)
- Ann's House (upperclass students)
- Environmental Studies House (upperclass students)
- Extended Quiet Study at Cannon (mixed class)
- Hillel House (upperclass students)
- Honors House (upperclass students)
- International House (for our 21 and older students)
- Language House (upperclass students)
- Unity House at Moskowitz (mixed class)
- Graduate Student Housing (53 West University, 15 Terrace Street)
Alfred University is a smoke-free campus. No one is permitted to smoke anywhere within residence halls, buildings, foyers, entry ways, or immediately outside any facility. If you are a smoker, you must be 25' from any building on campus to smoke.
A Resident Director (RD) who promotes community growth supervises each residence hall/area. Each serves as a resource person for the residents as well as a facilitator. Resident Directors (RD) are graduate students attending Alfred University. All RDs are supervised by a professional staff member from the Office of Residence Life. In addition, a Resident Assistant (RA) is available in each living area or section. The RA is a current Alfred University sophomore/junior/senior student who assists the Resident Director in fostering an atmosphere of individual and community growth. The RA is available to assist students with questions and problems and to help them become acclimated to their new environment.
RAs plan regular events during the course of a semester to create connections among residents and build a strong, respectful, vibrant sense of community.
In order ensure the safety and security of our students a comprehensive set of Residence Life Policies has been established.
- Residence Life FAQ provides detailed information about rooms, roommates, special requests, and other frequently asked questions
- Guide to Residence Hall Living provides information on our residence halls for new first year, new transfer and returning students
- Off-campus living
- Room dimensions and sample floor plan
- Meal plans
Director of Residence Life
1 Saxon Drive
Alfred, NY 14802
Specific housing questions should be directed to: Melanie Auman, Assistant Director of Residence Life - 607.871.2186