Summer Art Camp - "Portfolio Preparation for College Bound Artists"
July 9-13, 2017
Space Still Available! - APPLICATION DEADLINE EXTENDED TO JUNE 1, 2017
This co-ed, overnight art camp is a 4-day intensive program in establishing a body of work in portfolio preparation. The goal of the program is to expose students to a variety of media, to allow for exploration of personal art themes and provide a sound foundation in the vocabulary of art and art-related pursuits.
Each student must bring a portfolio* for review and will receive constructive advice on how to accomplish the best college application portfolio they can. (*Laptop, flash drive, and/or original work are all welcome.)
With our dynamic, engaging, talented and caring faculty; terrific facilities; and lovely surroundings, "How to Get Into a Top Art School" could make this your best summer ever! Check out comments from past students. The program includes:
- Art Instruction
- One-on-one portfolio critiques
- Studio Classes
- Fun Recreational activities
Who Can Attend?
This program is open to students entering their sophomore, junior or senior year of high school who wish to continue their education at the art school of their choice.
Students arrive between 2:00 and 4:00 PM on Sunday for registration and leave after lunch on Thursday. Sunday registration is followed by orientation, dinner and welcome activities. Classes begin Monday morning. Throughout the course of the week each student will be given a one-on-one portfolio review and college counseling session.
2-4 PM Registration, Meet the Staff, and Get Settled in the Residence Halls
4:30 PM Camp Welcome, followed by dinner, a Campus Tour and Evening Activities
Morning Session: Introduction to Materials and Goal Setting for the Week.
Afternoon Session: Studio Time, Drawing, Line and Value.
Evening Recreational Activities
Morning Session: Introduction to Color Theory and Water Based Media; Expanded Drawing Media
Afternoon Session: Figure Drawing with Live Model
Evening Recreational Activities
Morning Session: Continued Development of Line, Color, Printmaking and Mixed Media Work
Afternoon Session: Finish Works in preparation for Portfolio Review
Evening Recreational Activities and additional "studio work" time
Morning Session: Photographing your Work & Final Group Review
Camp ends after lunch - students vacate residence halls by 2:00 p.m.
(Alfred University admissions interviews will be available, by appointment on Thursday afternoon. To schedule an appointment, please contact the Office of Admissions at 607.871.2115.)
**Schedule is subject to change. Further information, including a detailed program schedule and driving directions to campus, will be sent to all students upon acceptance.
Dr. Corrie Burdick, AU Assistant Professor of Art Education, is the Camp Director and primary instructor. Dr. Burdick earned her BFA, MS and PhD degrees at Syracuse University and has taught at AU since 2008. She received the Excellence in Teaching Award from Alfred University in 2011 and is codirector of the AU Art Day Camp. Questions regarding program content may be directed to her via email.
When not in classes, students have lots of fun participating in recreational activities. Living, dining and learning together, students have ample opportunity to get to know each other and develop lasting friendships. Sample activities include:
- Ice-breaker games on the first night to help everyone get acquainted
- Movies in Nevins Theater
- Outdoor games such as "Capture the Flag" and "Ultimate Frisbee"
- Indoor games such as "Who Wants to be a Millionaire," ping pong, board games, basketball, etc.
- Social gatherings with refreshments & music in the Knight Club
- Relaxing and socializing at a local coffee house
- Farewell party on the last night
When students are not in class, they are supervised by our wonderful team of Camp Counselors who serve as camp counselors, mentors, positive role models and friends. In order to ensure everyone has a safe, healthy and enjoyable time on campus, summer students are expected to abide by the University's summer programs rules & regulations.
Housing and Meals
Students stay in secure University residence halls dedicated to summer campers (2 per room) and must bring their own pillows, blankets and bed/bath linens for the week (bed linens must fit the extra-long twin residence hall beds). Laundry facilities are available in each hall at no charge. Males and females are housed in separate halls. Our Camp Counselors will be on-site in the residence halls at all times.
Delicious, all-you-can-eat, cafeteria-style meals are served in the campus dining hall. Our Dining Services chefs do an excellent job in accommodating campers with food allergies and other special requirements.
Tuition, Room and Board
The cost is $910. This covers tuition, supervision, materials, room and board from dinner on the first day through lunch on the last day, and recreational activities. The $100 deposit must be submitted with the application (deadline June 1). Remaining balance is due by June 16, 2017.
Commuter Rate: Students living locally who wish to attend as commuters may do so. The commuter rate, which includes tuition, program materials, and lunch, is $810. Students who wish to commute must check in at registration on Sunday and arrive on campus by 8:45 AM for classes Monday-Thursday. They must be picked up no later than 5:00 PM Monday-Wednesday unless they will be participating in evening activities (please make arrangements with Director of Summer Programs for pick-up times). The last day of camp (Thursday) pick-up time is 1:00 PM. Please be sure to check the "Commuter" box on the application form.
Sorry, there are no scholarships or other forms of financial aid available for students in any of our summer programs.
Students who wish to apply must submit the online application form, along with the following:
- $100 deposit (paid on online application form)
- Two letters of recommendation from teachers on official school stationery (at least one should be an art teacher)
- Copy of an up-to-date transcript or recent report card
- A one-page essay telling us why you want to attend this program (in your own words, with your signature at the bottom)
Send all of the above items to: Office of Summer Programs, Alfred University, Saxon Drive, Alfred, NY 14802, fax to 607.871.2045, or scan and send to us via email.
After the new June 1 deadline, the Summer Programs Admissions Committee will review all completed applications and determine which students are accepted. Acceptance/non-acceptance notification will be provided via email by the middle of May. If you require an earlier decision, please indicate this by including a note with your application form. (Students who apply after the deadline will receive notification within one week after we receive their application materials.)
Once students have been accepted, they will receive an acceptance letter as well as specific instructions on where to find and download all camp-required materials for attendance including medical forms, liability releases, emergency notification forms, etc. These materials must be filled out as soon as possible and must be back in our hands by June 16, 2017. Updated immunization information (including dates) is also required at that time. (If you do not have updated immunization information on hand, you may want to acquire this from your physician now to avoid processing delays.)
Refunds, less the $100 non-refundable deposit, will be made for student cancellations received by June 1. A 50% refund will be made for those received from June 2-10. No refunds are given for cancellations received after June 10.
For further general information contact the Office of Summer Programs via email or by calling us at 607.871.2612. For specific information concerning class content please contact Institute Director Corrie Burdick via email.
- "I loved all the classes and thought that most of the activities we all did together were really fun ways to hang out and get to know other campers. I learned how to use charcoal and also worked on improving skills I had learned before like drawing from observation." - Alexandra K. from Hilliard, OH
- "I really loved the drawing classes. I felt like I learned so much in one week. It excites me to think of how much I could learn over four years of college!" - Maggie W. from Rome, NY
- "I liked working with charcoal and color and really liked the social aspect and feeling like I was a student. I can see myself going here now because of the programs and atmosphere!" - Talia S. from Valatie, NY
- "The classes were wonderful. I think all the drawing was very beneficial because it is the core of art. I learned drawing techniques and how to impress people with your portfolio and application." - Holly H. from Phoenix, NY
- "It was good practice, good variety. I learned that a variety of careers exist in art or design and that Alfred has a lot of ceramics stuff!" - Kayleigh H. from Hilliard, OH
- "I learned about different jobs you can get if you go to an art college and how to work faster." - Ashley P. from East Northport, NY
- "I liked the art class because I could experiment with different materials we don't use in school. I learned how to pace myself when I am drawing and how to use charcoal better." - Catherine S. from Homer, NY
- "Thanks for the great instruction and over-all productive week!" - Rhianna H. from Pittsford, NY
- "I liked the morning and afternoon classes and the differences between them - and the activities the RAs provided were wonderful! - Ryan L. from Northport, NY
- "I learned new painting techniques and how to prepare a portfolio. The best thing was taking a tour of the art facilities!" - Julien D. from Dix Hills, NY
- "I loved the drawing and learned so much through the painting." - Kelly H. from East Aurora, NY
Art at AU
Artists who come to our campus find a supportive and growing community dedicated to the teaching, creation, research, exhibition and communication of fine art and design. The beauty of our area - rural Western New York - is inspiring. Alfred University's School of Art and Design is internationally known and has a long illustrious history of creative excellence. Our art students are part of a thriving community of artists who work in some of the best art making facilities in the world. View further information about the School of Art and Design.
Alfred University is located in the peaceful village of Alfred in western New York State, where summer days are warm and nights are cool and comfortable. Surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful meadows and valleys, Alfred University is the perfect place to spend an enjoyable week learning more about your favorite subject and meeting other students who share your interests!
The campus, a 6-hour drive from New York City, 2 hours from Buffalo and 1 1/4 hours from Rochester, is easily accessible by car or bus from all directions and is located just five miles south of Interstate 86. The nearest major airport is the Rochester International Airport (about 65 miles north). Transportation to and from that airport can be provided for an additional charge if we receive your request by the due date indicated in your acceptance notification. After that date the student should make his/her own arrangements with an airport limo service.
Program Cancellation: The University may cancel any course or activity at any time because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled or postponed, the University will refund registration fees, but cannot be held responsible for other costs, charges, or expenses, including cancellation/change charges assessed by airlines or travel agencies.
AU Policy Against Discrimination: Whether considering candidates for admission or financial aid, applicants for employment or the management of its policies and school-administered programs, Alfred University does not discriminate on the basis of gender, sexual orientation, age, race, color, national or ethnic origin, religion, or disability. Alfred University is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer.
To read or print documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded for free.