July 17-20, 2017
Morning Session - 8:30-11:30 AM: Dream Builders Brick Club (using BanBao Builder Blocks - similar to and interchangeable with Legos) for students who have completed grades 1, 2, or 3
Afternoon Session - 12:30-3:30 PM: Pullback Car Design (using BanBao Blocks - similar to and interchangeable with Legos) for students who have completed grades 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8
Location: McMahon Building, Room 246, Alfred University Campus
Camp Fee: $150 (includes a take-home project students can keep)
Enrollment Deadline: July 1, 2017
Top quality instruction and learning materials are provided by All About Learning, Inc., whose classes feature science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM) concepts and 21st century educational skills of critical thinking, problem solving, collaboration, agility and adaptability, curiosity and imagination.
This camp provides great hands-on learning! Students will creatively build and modify machines applying basic engineering principles and using unique BanBao kits (similar to and interchangeable with other building block products such as Legos). These are integrated science and math classes. Students learn a variety of concepts throughout each 4-day program, including:
- Basic Engineering Principles
- Simple and Compound Machines
- Forces in Motion
- Integrated Problem Solving
- Communication Skills
- Teamwork and Collaboration
- Challenging Students to incorporate the traits of an Engineer in a classroom setting
- Dream Builders Brick Club (grades 1-3) -Students creatively build and modify machines through basic engineering skills using BanBao Bricks kits and curriculum. Provides great hands-on learning and building experiences. Exploration of simple machines at an entry level applied and discussed in depth. Design manuals give kids a real-life experience with design changes just like an Engineer. Includes a take-home project students can keep.
- Pullback Car Design (grades 4-8): Students will use BanBao kits to creatively build and modify machines applying basic engineering principles. Throughout the class they will learn a variety of concepts and apply their acquired knowledge about gearing and gear ratios, simple machines, problem solving and communication skills. This challenges students to incorporate the traits of an Engineer in a classroom setting. Includes a Culmination Event at the end of class. Also includes a take-home project students can keep.
Students attending the morning session (grades 1-3) must be dropped off at the classroom each day by 8:30 AM and must be picked up at 11:30 AM. Students attending the afternoon session (grades 4-8) must be dropped off at the classroom by 12:30 PM, and picked up no later than 3:30 PM.
How to Enroll
Enroll as soon as possible as enrollments will be accepted on a first-come, first-served basis until each session is full. (The minimum enrollment needed to run each class is 12. The maximum allowed for the morning session is 16. The maximum allowed in the afternoon session is 22.)
To enroll, please complete the enrollment form. The enrollment deadline is July 1, 2017.
Full refunds will be made for cancellations received by 3:30 p.m. on July 1, 2017. We cannot make refunds to students who cancel after July 1 because instructors, materials, and classroom spaces are arranged based upon the number of students expected and cannot be changed after that date.
For further information, please contact the Office of Summer Programs via email or by calling 607.871.2612.
Alfred University is located in the peaceful village of Alfred in Western New York State, where summer days are warm and nights are cool and comfortable. Surrounded by rolling hills and beautiful meadows and valleys, Alfred University is the perfect place to spend an enjoyable week doing something you love and meeting other students who share your interests.
Program Cancellation: The University may cancel any course or activity at any time because of insufficient enrollment or other unforeseen circumstances. If a program is canceled or postponed, the University will refund registration fees but cannot be held responsible for other costs, charges, or expenses, including cancellation/change charges assessed by airlines or travel agencies.
To read or print documents you will need Adobe Acrobat Reader which can be downloaded for free.