J-1 Visa Requirements

Exchange students must provide proof of health insurance when applying to Alfred University.

The J-1 visa has the following requirements for health insurance (22CFR 62.14):

62.14 (a) Sponsors shall require each exchange visitor to have insurance in effect which covers the exchange visitor for sickness or accident during the period of time that an exchange visitor participates in the sponsor's exchange visitor program. Minimum coverage shall provide:

(1 )Medical benefits of at least $50,000 per accident or illness;
(2) Repatriation of remains in the amount of $7,500;
(3) Expenses associated with the medical evacuation of the exchange visitor to his or her home country in the amount of $10,000; and
(4) A deductible not to exceed $500 per accident or illness.

62.14 (b) An insurance policy secured to fulfill the requirements of this section:

(1) May require a waiting period for pre-existing conditions which is reasonable as determined by current industry standards;
(2) May include provision for co-insurance under the terms of which the exchange visitor may be required to pay to up 25% of the covered benefits per accident or illness; and
(3) Shall not unreasonably exclude coverage for perils inherent to the activities of the exchange program in which the exchange visitor participates.

62.14 (c) Any policy, plan or contract secured to fill the above requirements must, at a minimum, be:

(1) Underwritten by an insurance corporation having an A.M. Best rating of "A-" or above, and Insurance Solvency International, Ltd. (ISI) rating of "A-i" or above, a Standard & Poor's Claims-paying Ability rating of "A-" or above, a Weiss Research, Inc. rating of "B+" or above, or such other rating as the Department of State may from time to time specify; or
(2) Backed by the full faith and credit of the government of the exchange visitor's home country; or
(3) Part of a health benefits program offered on a group basis to employees or enrolled students by a designated sponsor; or
(4) Offered through or underwritten by a federally qualified Health Maintenance Organization (HMO) or eligible Competitive Medical Plan (CMP) as determined by the Health Care Financing Administration of the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services.