Spending more than 50 years in the Alfred community, Robert Turner, an A.U. alumnus and professor, was known for encouraging the artistic imagination. Robert opened his own studio in Alfred Station in 1951, focusing on stoneware bowls, jars, and candleholders. He began serving as a special instructor in pottery and sculpture at Alfred University in 1958 and became part of the full-time faculty in 1966. He was chairman of the Art Department twice during his career. The university awarded him emeritus status when he retired.
Robert’s career as a ceramic artist spanned 60 years. His work, featured in group and solo exhibitions alike, earned him numerous awards and distinctions. His pieces can be found in permanent collections worldwide.
Robert taught extensively. In addition to his services at A.U.’s School of Art and Design, he taught at Black Mountain College in North Carolina, was a visiting professor at the University of Wisconsin, and taught summer courses at Anderson Ranch in Aspen, Colorado, and the Penland School of Crafts in North Carolina. He was honored with the State University of New York Chancellor’s Award for Excellence in Teaching in 1973.