Ted Randall’s connection to Alfred spanned across fifty years. As a graduate student, he created functional ceramics, focusing on bronze, clay, and other media. He served as a faculty member and an administrator at Alfred from 1951-1981. During his career, A.U. began its expansion into a full art and design school.
After retiring, Ted again concentrated on his sculpture. He sought to create pieces that recalled the history of pottery, exemplified its meaning, and inspired invention. His later works explored cultural significance as well.