Psychology & Communication
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Psychology & Communication
College of Liberal Arts & Sciences
Science Center, Room 423C
- PhD: Psychology, University of New Hampshire, 2004
- MA: Psychology, University of New Hampshire, 2001
- BA: Psychology, Keene State College, 1997
- AS: Alcohol & Chemical Dependency, Keene State College, 1997
- PSYC 101 - Introduction to Psychology
- PSYC 118 - Adult Development & Aging
- PSYC 300 - Special Topics (Problems & Issues in Aging)
- PSYC 300 - Special Topics (Ageism)
- PSYC 311 - Sensation & Perception
- PSYC 332 - Cognitive Processes
- PSYC 371 - Psychology of Death & Dying
- PSYC 429 - Cognition & Aging
- PSYC 497 - Senior Seminar
- PSYC 607 - Learning & Cognition (Graduate)
- PSYC 677 - Summer Institute for Teaching & Pedagogy
- HONORS - The Science & Psychology of Superheroes
- HONORS - The Science & Psychology of Harry Potter
- HONORS - Tricorders, Transporters, and Tribbles
- HONORS - A Beginner's Guide to World Domination
- HONORS - Analyzing the Adventure
- HONORS - Star Wars: Myth, Magic, and Mania
- HONORS - Artificial Intelligence: Fears, Fiction, and Future
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- Gagne, D. D., Johnson, B. C., & Pilgrim, S. M. (2017). Creating a Psychological Profile of Successful First-Year Engineering Students. 2017 American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE) Conference and Exposition Chicago, IL.
- Gagne, D. (2011). Study Guide to accompany Coon and Mitterer’s Psychology: A Journey (4th Ed). ISBN: 9780840032225.
- Miller, L.M.S., & Gagne, D. D. (2008). Adult Age Differences in Reading and Rereading Processes Associated with Problem Solving. International Journal of Behavioral Development, 32, 34-45.
- DeGraff, D., & Gagne, D.D. (2008). Chapter 12: The Pedagogical Uses of the Science Fiction Genre. The Everyday Fantastic: Essays on Science Fiction and Human Being. Newcastle, UK: Cambridge Scholars Publishing.
- Stine-Morrow, E.A. L., Miller, L. M. S., Gagne, D. D., & Hertzog, C. (2008). Self-Regulated Reading in Adulthood. Psychology and Aging.
- Miller, L. M. S., & Gagne, D. D. (2005). The effects of age and control beliefs on reading strategies. Aging, Neuropsychology, and Cognition, 12, 129-148.
- Stine-Morrow, E. A. L., Gagne, D. D., Morrow, D. G., & Herman, B. D. (2004). Age differences in rereading. Memory and Cognition, 32, 696-710.
- Smiler, A., Gagne, D.D., Stine-Morrow, E. A. L. (2003). Aging and the effects of memory load on resource allocation during reading: A test of the self-initiation hypothesis. Psychology and Aging, 18, 203-209.
- Stine-Morrow, E.A.L., & Gagne, D.D. (2001). Discourse memory. In G. M. Mattox, (Ed.) The Encyclopedia of Aging: A Comprehensive Resource in Gerontology and Geriatrics (3rd Ed.) New York: Springer Publishing Company.
- Johnson, B. J., Carosa, C., & Gagne, D.D. (2017). Revising a portfolio in a human sexuality course based on assessment results. Poster presented at the annual meeting of the Eastern Psychological Association. Boston, MA.
- Johnson, B., Gagne, D. D., & Pilgrim, S. (2015). Profiling the Successful First-Year Engineering Student. 7th Annual First Year Engineering Experience Conference. Roanoke, VA.
- Johnson, B., & Gagne, D. D. (2015). Portfolios for Use in Sensitive-Topic Courses: Teach First, Ask Questions Later. Poster session presented at the 27th annual convention of the Association for Psychological Science (APS). New York City, NY.
- Maiden, R. M., Oakman, R., & Gagne, D. D. (2014) Creative Art Interventions at Community-Based Services: An Intergenerational Approach. Association for Gerontology in Higher Education's 40th Annual Meeting and Educational Leadership Conference.
- Maiden, R. M. Gagne, D. D. (2013) Aging in New York: Building Capacity and Empowering Communities. Presented at the annual meeting of the New York State Society on Aging. Saratoga Springs, NY.
- Johnson, B., & Gagne, D. D. (2013). From Both Sides of the Desk: Student and Faculty Perspectives on Portfolios as a Learning Experience. Paper presented at the annual conferences for The Society for the Teaching of Psychology Best Practices Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Gagne, D. D., Angie, J., & Soto, J. (2013). Science Fiction in the classroom. Paper presented at the International Conference for Science Fiction: The Interdisciplinary Genre. Hamilton, Ontario.
- Maiden, R. M. Gagne, D. D., Phillips-Jones, E. (2013). A Service-Learning Project that Keeps on Giving. Conference for the Association of Gerontology in Higher Education. St Petersburg, FL.
- Gagne, D. D. (2012). Gerontology: the study of gerons? Paper presented at the annual meeting of the New York State Society on Aging. Fairport, NY.
- Maiden, R.M., Gagne, D.D., & Phillips-Jones, E. (2012). Building a Community Center from the Ground Up: A Service-Learning Project. presented at the annual meeting of the New York State Society on Aging. Fairport, NY.
- Gagne, D. D., DiGiacinto, M., & Merritt, C. (2012). What is "gerontology" anyway? Students’ reluctance to go gray. Poster presented at the annual meeting for the Eastern Psychological Association. Pittsburgh, PA.
- Gagne, D. D. (2012). Aging in perspective: Introducing a course on Ageism to an undergraduate curriculum. Resource Exchange workshop presented at the annual meeting and Educational Leadership Conference for the Association of Gerontology in Higher Education. Arlington, VA.
- Rammler-Young, B. & Gagne, D. D. (2011). Dr. Who and Death Education. Poster presented at the annual meeting for the New England Conference for Teachers of Psychology. Fairfield, CT.
- Gagne, D. D., Merritt, C., & DiGiacinto, M., (2011). Ageism, Aging Knowledge, and Interactions With Older Adults. Poster presented at the annual meeting for the New England Psychological Association. Fairfield, CT.
- Gagne, D. D. (2009). What do undergraduates really think of aging? Poster presented at the annual meeting for the Association of Gerontology in Higher Education. San Antonio, TX.
- Gagne, D. D. (2008). Recognizing Ageism, Raising Awareness. Paper presented at the fourth annual Conference on Aging: Are you Ready for the Age Wave? Alfred, NY.
- Gagne, D. D. (4/18/2008). Making the Most of Your Memory. Keynote address presented at the Office for the Aging Senior Forum.
- Gagne, D. D. (4/28/2008). Making the Most of Your Memory. Invited address presented at the Senior Citizen Literary Club Annual Banquet.
- Gagne, D. D. (10/25/2007). Ageism. Presented at the Bergren Forum. Alfred University.
- Gagne, D. D. (3/21/07). Living with Grieving. First Congregational Church. Wellsville, NY.
- Gagne, D.D. (2/13/07). Assisting Families. "Sharing Your Wishes" End-of-Life Decision Making Initiative. Belmont, New York. A program for area clergy members who have expressed an interest and need for training opportunities revolving around support for families and individuals at the end of life.
- Gagne, D.D. (2006). A Stroll Down Memory Lane: Memory Exercises. Paper presented at the Conference on Aging: Holding the Hands of Time: Facing the Challenges of Aging. Alfred, New York.
- Miller, L.M. S, & Gagne, D. D. (2006). Adult age differences in reading to problem solve. Paper presented at the Cognitive Aging Conference. Atlanta, GA.
- Gagne, D.D. (2005, Nov). Invited Discussant/Panelist: The Pros and Cons of Living Forever Astronomicon, Rochester, New York.
- Gagne, D.D. (2005, Nov). Invited Discussant/Panelist: This isn’t your species intelligence: Would we recognize an artificial intelligence? Astronomicon, Rochester, NY.
- DeGraff, D., & Gagne, D.D. (10/2005). The Pedagogical Uses of the Science Fiction Genre. Paper presented at "The Uses of the Science Fiction Genre: An Interdisciplinary Symposium", St. Catherine’s, Ontario, Canada.
- DeGraff, D. & Gagne, D. D. (1/26/2006). The Pedagogical Uses of the Science Fiction Genre. Bergren Forum, Alfred University.
- Ruth Berger Rubenstein Memorial Award for Excellence in Teaching. 2006, 2008, 2013
- Joseph Kruson Trust Fund Award for Excellent in Teaching, 2011
- Gaughan, E., Faherty, E., Atlas, J., & Evangelista, N. (2010). Preparing Leaders in the Education and Training of the Next Generation of School Psychology Practitioners. United States Department of Education, Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services. Funded: $1,032,000. Role: Project Faculty
Affiliations & Memberships
- American Psychological Association (APA) ,
- Division 2 (Teaching of Psychology) ,
- Division 20 (Adult Development & Aging) ,
- American Association for Retired Persons (AARP) ,
- Association for Psychological Science (APS) ,
- Gerontological Society of America (GSA) ,
- Pi Gamma Mu,
What makes a place great? The consistent hard work of its caring & friendly faculty/staff. Every person here is a valued member of a living-learning community, and it really shows.View More Profiles