- PhD: Spanish University of Cincinnati, 2003
- MA: Spanish University of Cincinnati, 1995
- BA: International Studies Gannon University, 1993
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- Peninsular Spanish Literature and Culture
- Medieval/Early Modern Spanish Studies
- Spanish Women Writers
- Spanish Children's Literature
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- “La experiencia compartida como enlace unificador: José Emilio Pacheco conmemora la identidad judía,” Ariana Huberman y Alejandro Meter (eds.) Memoria y Representación: literatura y cultura judía latinoamericana, Rosario (Arg.): Beatriz Viterbo Editoras, 2006.
- “The Experience of Jewish Identity and Collective Memory in Morirás lejos.” Hispanic Journal. 25(June/July 2005): 107-118.
- Teachers’ Annotations. ¡Arriba! Comunicación y Cultura New Jersey: Prentice Hall, 2004.
- “La ideología subvertida: La sátira narrativa en Doña Perfecta.” Galdós y la narrativa satírica: Una introducción. Madrid: La Avispa, 2000.
- “Rights, Repression, Republics and Reinos.” Northeast LGBT Conference, Binghamton University, April 2011.
- "Femininity versus Queer Ideology in My Mother Likes Women and Beatriz and the Celestial Bodies." International Conference on Masculinities and Femininites, U of West Georgia, November 2008.
- "Children's Literature in the University-level Spanish Curriculum." ACTFL, San Antonio, TX, November 2007.
- "El acercamiento a la identidad lesbiana en A mi madre le gustan las mujeres." XXXII Annual Hispanic Literatures Conference, Indiana U of Pennsylvania, October 2007.
- “Using the City to Map the Social Landscape in La nave de los locos.” The XXVI International Congress LASA, San Juan, PR, March 2006.
- "Decapitating Discourse: El estrangulador by Manuel Vázquez Montalbán." The International Conference on Arms and Letters, U of West Georgia, October 2005.
- "El control del espacio en la narrativa de Belén Gopegui." The 8th Annual Ohio State University Symposium on Hispanic and Luso-Brazilian Literatures, Linguistics, and Cultures, April 2005.
- “Lies Can Create Truth: Morirás lejos by José Emilio Pacheco.” International Conference on Truth & Mendacity, State Univ of West Georgia, October 2004.
- “Teresa de Cartagena’s Use of Medical Discourse.” Science, Literature and the Arts in the Medieval and Early Modern World, Binghamton Univ (SUNY), October 2004.
- "Jewish Collective Memory in Pacheco's Morirás lejos." The XXV International Congress LASA 2004, Las Vegas, NV, October 2004.
- "Ambivalence and Self-Construction in the Treatises of Teresa de Cartagena." The XIV Biennial New College Conference on Medieval-Renaissance Studies, Sarasota, FL, March 2004.
- "The Authority of Authorship in the works of Teresa de Cartegena." The 53rd Annual Kentucky Foreign Language Conference, Lexington, KY, April 2000.
Awards/HonorsAlfred University International Fellowship for Faculty Development Grant, June 2016, "Global Migrations: Spain" course development
Abigail Allen Award, April 2014.
Alfred University International Fellowship for Faculty Development Grant to attend the CIEE seminar “Spain: Regional Identities in the European Context: The Catalan Case.” June 2005.
Joseph Kruson Trust Fund Award for Excellence in Teaching May 2004.
Service-Learning Award for Curricular Development Grant to support the course & trip “Sustainable Futures and Service-Learning in Costa Rica” Dec. 2003.
NEH Research Grant to transcribe unedited manuscript held in El Escorial library outside of Madrid, Spain. Summer 2003.
Chair, Assessment Planning & Oversight Committee, 2013 – present
- Divisional Annual Assessment Reports
- CLAS Writing Assessment – spring 2013, 2014, 2015
- AU Writing Assessment - spring 2016
Director, Transfer Student Programs, 2014-present
Chair, Division of Modern Languages, 2011 – 2017
Co-Director, Women’s Studies Program, 2012-2013
Director, Women’s Studies Program, 2008 – 2012
Member, Alfred University Assessment Council, 2015-present
- Co-Facilitator, AU Writing Assessment, summer 2016
Chair, CLAS Assessment Policies and Oversight Committee, 2014-present
- Co-Facilitator, CLAS Writing Assessment, 2014, 2015
- Reader, CLAS Writing Assessment, 2013
Middle States Site Visit – April 2015 – two meetings
Middle States Working Group – Standard #14 – Assessment of Student Learning, 2012-13
Member, General Education Taskforce, 2010 – 2012
Professional Development in Assessment
AAC&U General Education & Assessment: New Contexts, New Cultures, February 2012
AAC&U Annual Meeting, “Global Positioning: Essential Learning, Student Success, and the Currency of U.S. Degrees.” January 2011.
AAC&U General Education Institute – Burlington, Vermont, June 2010