- PhD: English, University of Massachusetts, Amherst, 2008
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- American and European Modernism
- Critical Theory
- Modern Drama
- Memory and Trauma Studies
- ENGL 102: Writing II
- ENGL 214: Introduction to Drama
- ENGL 220/SJST 200: The Harlem Renaissance
- ENGL 226/SJST 220: The Holocaust and Literature
- ENGL 323: Survey of British Literature
- ENGL 341: Survey of American Literature
- ENGL 400: Major Figures: Virginia Woolf
- ENGL 400: Major Figures: Bob Dylan
- ENGL 422: Irish Literature
- ENGL 424: James Joyce
- ENGL 442: Modern and Contemporary Drama
- ENGL 459/CRIT 459: Literary Criticism and Theory
- ENGL 460: Modernism
- HONR 117: The Sopranos: The Psychopathology of Everyday Violence
- HONR 119: The Music of New York City: 1950-2011
- HONR 137: American Gothic: The Films of David Lynch
- HONR 218: Bob Dylan and America
Research, Publications, & Presentations
- "Love Songs, Broadsides, and Prophecies: The Problem of Empathy in Bob Dylan" Roundtable Contribution to 'The Dividing Line Ran Through the Center of Town': Bob Dylan’s Border Crossings. NeMLA Conference. April 2018.
- Bob Dylan’s Performance of Gender. Paper Presented at the Comparative Drama Conference. Baltimore. March 2016.
- Inscrutable Activities: Samuel Beckett and Conceptual Art. Paper Presented at the Inaugural Conference of the Samuel Beckett Society. Phoenix. February 2015.
- “Alone in Deserts of Parchment": Historical Guilt/Historical Traces in W.G. Sebald and Susan Howe. Roundtable Contribution to A Literature of Historical Guilt. NeMLA Annual Conference. Boston. MArch 2013.
- Bilderverbot, Photography, and the Ethics of Mimesis. Paper presented at the conference Mimesis Now: Literature, Art, Film, New Media. University of Rochester. April 2012.
- What Ever Happened to Irish Modernism? Panel organized and chaired. NeMLA Conference. March 2012.
- Embodied Voices, Inscribed Space: Beckett’s Late Drama In Circulation. Paper Presented at the Comparative Drama Conference. Baltimore. March 2012
- Ash Awaits Us: Entering the Archive with Beckett. Presentation made at the conference Samuel Beckett: Out of the Archive. York, UK. 2011.
- "Hybrids Absorbed in Hybrid Literature": Wallace Stevens between Reality and Conceptual Art. Paper Presented at the Annual NeMLA Conference. Rutgers University. April 2011.
- Obsolescence, Amnesia, Archive: Beckett Performing Testimony Across Media. Paper included in the 2009 Samuel Beckett Working Group Seminar at The International Federation of Theatre Research Annual Conference. Lisbon, Portugal. July 2009.
- Exhibiting Virginia Woolf’s Urban Affiliations: An Undergraduate Research Project at Alfred University. Panel organized with Alfred University undergraduates for the Nineteenth Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf. Fordham University. New York, Ny. June 2009.
- Archiving Oblivion in The Novels of Samuel Beckett and W.G. Sebald. Paper presented at the Samuel Beckett Society Panel. MLA Annual Convention. San Francisco 2008.
- Modernism in New York: Emergence of the Global City. Designed and led seminar at the annual meeting of the Modernist Studies Association. Nashville 2008.
- New York Dada and the Harlem Renaissance: Identities in Motion. Paper Presented at New York: City in Motion: An Interdisciplinary Conference. New York Institute of Technology. March 2006.
- Testifying Against the Archive: Reading Beckett with Claude Lanzmann’s Shoah. Paper Presented at the Institute for Contemporary French and Francophone Studies 2006 Conference: "Beckett at 100: New Perspectives." February 2006
- Interventions in the Future of Memory: The Holocaust in Film and Drama, Paper to be Presented at The Future of Memory: An International Holocaust and Trauma Studies Conference. University of Manchester, UK. November 2005.
- The Archival Gesture in Krapp’s Last Tape, A paper included in the 2005 Samuel Beckett Working Group Seminar at The International Federation of Theatre Research Annual Conference. (Chair: Linda Ben-Zvi). June 2005.
- Brecht and Beckett Constructing Modern Citizenship Paper Presented at the New Scholar’s Forum of The International Federation of Theatre Research Annual Conference. June 2005.
- Helped to organize and presented the paper Mrs. Dalloway and the Rest of the World: Reading London from Istanbul at the conference Theory in an Uneven World: A Workshop on R. Radhakrishnan’s Recent Book. University of Massachusetts. April 2005.
- Marcel Duchamp and Early American Modernism, Paper Presented at the 2005 conference of the American Comparative Literature Association. March 2005.
- Modernism, Exile, and New York Dada: A Reconsideration of Marcel Duchamp and Wallace Stevens, Paper Presented at the Twentieth-Century Literature and Culture Conference. February 2005.
- "Perpetually Contradicted:" Private Memories and History: Freud and Virginia Woolf Paper presented at the 13th Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf, Woolf in the Real World. June 2003.
- Listening to Memory: Brecht, Beckett and the Crisis of Modern Memory, Paper presented at the 2003 University of Vermont Graduate Conference, Reconstructing Worlds: The Response-ability of Memory. April 2003.
Research & Publications
- "My Emily Dickinson as Touchstone Text in the Poetry Classroom: Questioning Modernist Poetry,” in Teaching Modernist Women Writers. MLA Press. Forthcoming, 2018
- "Ghostly Art Machines: Beckett & Systems & Art." Nieuwe Vide Journal. Forthcoming, 2018
- Review of Beckett's Art of Salvage. Text & Presentation. Forthcoming, 2018
- Samuel Beckett and Contemporary Art. Editor and Contributor. Ibidem Press, 2017
- "Nothing Doing: Samuel Beckett and Conceptual Art." Vol. 25. Samuel Beckett Today/Aujourd'hui 2014
- "Samuel Beckett, the Archive, and the Problem of History." Samuel Beckett: History, Memory, Archive, Palgrave Macmillan, 2009
- "'Nettie Moore:' Minstrelsy and the Cultural Economy of Race in Bob Dylan's Late Albums. "Highway 61 Revisited: Bob Dylan’s Road from Minnesota to the World, University of Minnesota Press, 2009
- "Virginia Woolf and the Technologies of Exploration: Jacob’s Room as Counter-Monument." Selected Papers from the Fifteenth Annual Conference on Virginia Woolf. Clemson University Press. 2006
Awards/HonorsFaculty Research Mentor Award, Alfred University, April 2014
Excellence in Teaching Award, Alfred University, April 2012
Postdoctoral Teaching Fellowship in Transatlantic Modernism, Frostburg State University, 2007-2008
Harry Ransom Humanities Research Center Dissertation Fellowship, 2006
International Federation of Theatre Research: New Scholar’s Prize, Second Prize, 2006
Awarded Research and Travel Grant by the Graduate School, University of Massachusetts, 2005
Awarded Travel and Research Grant, English Department, University of Massachusetts, Spring 2000, 2005
Finalist for University-Wide Distinguished Teaching Award, 2006
Outstanding Teaching Award, Department of Continuing Education, University of Massachusetts, 2003