- BA: Telecom & Film, Eastern Michigan University, 1995
- MA: Media Arts & Studies, Wayne State University, 2002
- PhD: Media Arts & Studies, Wayne State University, 2011
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- Political Economy of Media
- Genre Studies (particularly horror, cult, and exploitation cinema with a global emphasis)
- Film History and Historiography
- Media Literacy
- Social Media
- Classic and Contemporary Television
- Film & Video Production
- Media History, Aesthetics & Theory
- Documentary Film
- Film Music
- Popular Culture
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- My next book project proposes to classify, identify and examine the highly stylized and significant German Krimis (abbreviation for the German term Kriminalfilm or criminal film). International research commences in 2018.
- Monster of London City: Edgar Wallace, New German Cinema, and the Krimi Phenomenon. Lexington Books. Contracted.
- Sex, Sadism, Spain, and Cinema: The Spanish Horror Film. Rowman & Littlefield, June 2015.
- “Hallo, hier spricht Jess Franco: How Franco Recoded the Krimi.” The Films of Jess Franco. Wayne State University Press, Spring 2018.
- "Mondo Mundo: Sound Design and Innovation in Mexico's El Mundo de los Vampiros." Mexican Horror Films: Studies in the Horror Film. McFarland, forthcoming.
- "Identity Crisis: Imperialist Vampires in Japan?" Draculas, Vampires, and Other Undead Forms: Essays on Gender, Race and Culture. Eds: Kay Picart and John Edgar Browning. Scarecrow Press, 2009.