- PhD: Biomedical Materials - Bioactive Bone Cements University of Limerick, Ireland, 2008
- MS: Biomedical Engineering - Diagnostic Medical Divices University of Limerick, Ireland, 2005
- BS: Science - Biology, Exp. Physics, Math. Physics, Mathematics National University of Ireland, Maynooth, Ireland, 2003
- 2008-2011 University of Limerick/Alfred University
- Post-Doctoral studies was undertaken between the University of LImerick, Ireland and Alfred University , NY.
Specialties / Areas of Interest
- My primary research interests include designing and characterizing novel glasses for use as medical devices. Principal analytical techniques for glass design include X-ray Diffraction (XRD), X-ray Photoelectron Spectroscopy (XPS) and Raman Spectroscopy. Further interests include quantifying ion release from bioactive glasses/materials and their effect on common skin microflorasuch as bacteria (E. coli, S. epidermidis, S. aureus, P. aeruginosa) and yeast (candida albicans) responsible for infection. My research interests also include cytotoxicity testing of biomaterials on mammalian (Mouse L929 Fibroblasts) cells, with the intention to commence testing on both bone and cancer cell lines in the near future. My current research projects include:
- Fabrication of Glass/Ceramic Cell Scaffolds for increased bioactivity.
- Glass Coatings to increase the antimicrobial response and their subsequent diffusion through soluble and stable Hydrogels/Gels for applications in wound healing.
- Bone Cements based on Glass Polyalkenoate Cement chemistry for load bearing applications.
- Anti-cancerous Bone Cements and Degradable Bioactive Glasses.
- CEMS 368 Introduction to Bioengineering
- CEMS 466 Pathology of Hard Tissues
- CEMS 465 Biocompatibility
- CEMS 334 Introduction to Polymers
- ENGR 111 Explorations in Biomaterials
- BIOL 202 Adjunct Instructor in Biology Labs
Research, Publications, & Presentations
Research & Publications
- Investigating the Solubility and Cytocompatibility of CaO-Na2O-SiO2/TiO2 Bioactive Glasses. A.W. Wren, A. Coughlan, C.M. Smith, S.P. Hudson, F.R. Laffir, M.R. Towler. Journal of Biomedical Materials Research Part A. DOI: 10.1002/jbm.a.35223 2014.
- Investigating the effect of SiO2-TiO2-CaO-Na2O-ZnO bioactive glass doped hydroxyapatite - characterization and structural evaluation. C. Yatongchai, A.W. Wren, D.J. Curran, S. Hampshire, M.R. Towler. Journal of Material Science: Materials in Medicine. DOI 10.1007/s10856-014-5215-3 2014.
- Drug-Eluting Composite Materials: A Comparative Study Using Vancomycin and RNPA1000 to Inhibit Growth of Staphylococcus aureus T.M. Eidem, A. Coughlan, M.R. Towler, P.M. Dunman, A.W. Wren. Journal of Biomaterials Applications. 28: 8 1235-1246 2014.
- Investigating the Surface Reactivity of SiO2-TiO2-CaO-Na2O/SrO Bioceramics as a Function of Structure and Incubation Time in Simulated Body Fluid. Y. Li, A. Coughlan, A.W. Wren. Journal of Material Science: Materials in Medicine. DOI 10.1007/s10856-014-5229 2014.
- Influence of Gallium Content on the Surface Properties of Glass Polyalkenoate Cements: An Antibacterial Study. A.M.F. Alhalawani, A.W. Wren, L.M. Placek, M.R. Towler. J. Mater. Phys. DOI: 10.1016/j.matchemphys.2014.06.020 2014.
- Dextran hydrogels as carriers for bioactive glasses. delivery of Gallium containing glasses for anti-tumor effects.
- The effect of thermal treatment on the rheological and mechanical properties and bioactivity of Ti-glass polyalkenoate cemnts.
- Sr-doped hydroxyapatite modified with bioactive glass, properties and bioactive effects.
- The effect of alternating Na and Sr concentration on the structure of bioactive glasses.
- Full Listing see Vitae
Affiliations & Memberships
- European Society of Biomaterials (ESB),
- Society of Biomaterials (SOB),
- American Ceramics Society (ACers),
- American Society for Engineering Education (ASEE),