Building upon 20 years of success, the Equestrian Studies Program at Alfred University offers
- Courses in English and Western riding as well as draft horse driving.
- Competitive varsity and junior varsity intercollegiate teams.
- The Bromeley-Daggett Equestrian Center, a state-of-the-art facility at the Maris Cuneo Equine Park.
Opportunities to Compete
- English Intercollegiate Horse Show Association (IHSA) varsity and junior varsity teams.
- Western IHSA varsity and junior varsity teams.
- Alfred University fully supports varsity team participation, there are no out-of-pocket expenses for team members.
What Students Say...
"The Equestrian program is the main reason why I chose Alfred University. You can take riding classes, classes on equine management or equine science, ride for the Hunt Seat or Western teams, and even board your own horse there. I love that the AU barn is only a five minute drive from campus so I can easily see my horse every day, and I always know that she is well cared for. The fact that the barn is heated is the icing on the cake!"
Opportunities to Learn
- Minor in equine studies.
- A comprehensive Pre-Health and Pre-Vet Advising Program.
- English and Western riding as well as Draft Horse driving. Our expanded course offerings give you plenty of options from which to choose.
- More than 40 university-owned horses available for lessons and competitive events, thanks to the generosity of our donors.
- Scholarships are available based on financial need.
Opportunities to Diversify
- One of the few four-year schools in the country offering nationally recognized programs in art and engineering and a complete program of equine studies.
- Couple business and equine studies.
- Couple pre-vet or pre-med and equine studies.
- Couple psychology and equine studies.
Opportunities to Gain Experience
- Download a work-study application! We have a large number of work study hours available that enable students to earn money towards tuition and cost of living by working in the barn. Completed work study applications for the equestrian center should be sent to Justin Snyder or mailed to: Alfred Equestrian Center 5174 Lake Road Alfred Station NY 14803. Learn more about financial aid
- Field trips.
- Schooling shows and clinics.
- In-house seminars on topics such as nutrition, trainers, hoof care, etc.
- Equestrian Center and boarding facilities for student-owned horses within 5-minutes of campus.
- Help out with our open shows. Click for information on our Open Western Show and Open English Show.
- Summer camp counselor opportunities.
- Assist with public riding events. (Read about some local sorting events)
Opportunities to Meet People
- Network with riders, trainers, vets, dentists, farriers and more.
- Collaborate with instructors and staff who have industry and entrepreneurial experience.
Need more information?
Interested in donating a horse to Alfred University's Equestrian Program? Contact Program Director Steve Shank by email or phone 607.587.9012.