Engineering Group Challenge
The Alfred University Inamori School of Engineering hosts an annual Engineering Group Challenge for junior and senior students from area high schools by invitation. Students attending must be accompanied by an adult. Tours and demonstrations in various engineering laboratories are conducted and students attending are also invited to participate in a scholarship examination. First, Second and Third place winners receive a scholarship that can be used in any of our engineering programs at Alfred University.
September 4, 2019
Dear Science/Math/Technology Teacher/Guidance Counselor:
New this year! On Friday, October 18, 2019, Alfred University, Inamori School of Engineering will host the Engineering Group Challenge which was formerly known as the annual Engineering and Materials Science Day. We would like to invite you and your junior and/or senior students from your school to participate in a scholarship opportunity. Students must be accompanied by an adult. The day will begin at 8:30 am with registration in the lobby of Harder Hall, followed by opening remarks at 9:00 am in Holmes Auditorium, Harder Hall.
There will be an engineering group challenge for the Inamori School of Engineering Scholarship. This is a group challenge, however, only three of the top students will receive the scholarship award. First, Second, and Third placed students will each receive a scholarship that can be used in any of our engineering programs at Alfred University. This scholarship will be for four continuous years, toward tuition at Alfred University, provided certain academic standards are maintained. Please note that students may complete the engineering challenge once. They may attend a second time but will only be eligible for prize consideration the first year they do the challenge.
- First place is $2,500 per year for 4 years for a total of $10,000
- Second place is $2,000 per year for 4 years for a total of $8,000
- Third place is $1,500 per year for 4 years for a total of $6,000
The program will include demos, a tour of our laboratory facilities in the engineering buildings. Lunch will be provided at Ade Dining Hall. Following lunch, we will return to Holmes Auditorium, Harder Hall. Scholarship winners will be announced at 2:30 pm. Schools are scheduled to depart by 3:00 pm.
Please register online by October 10, 2019. Once you're registered, we will e-mail you a confirmation letter and a link to our campus map.
We look forward to seeing you in Alfred.
8:30 – 9:00
- Registration – Harder Hall Lobby
9:00 – 9:30
- Welcome/Challenge - Holmes Auditorium, Harder Hall
- Dr. Gabrielle Gaustad, Dean, Inamori School of Engineering
9:30 – 11:30
- Engineering Group Challenge - McMahon Commons Area
11:30 – 12:15
- Lunch – Ade Dining Hall (need tickets)
12:20 – 2:25
- Demos/Tours in various locations
2:30 – 3:00
- Announcement of Scholarship Winners and Presentation of Awards - Holmes Auditorium, Harder Hall
- **Scholarship winners and counselors please remain for photographs**