You will turn information into action.
Innovations in technology have led to a huge growth in available data and businesses are challenged to manipulate, aggregate, analyze and integrate all that data to inform their business strategy. Minoring in Data Science will be an asset to any major. You'll get an overview of big data, one of the most prominent, in-demand and growing fields.
Program ContactLikin Simon Romero firstname.lastname@example.org 607-871-2258
Students must take the following 16 credit hours:
- CSCI 156 Computer Science I (4 credits)
- CSCI 205 Database Systems (4 credits)
- MATH 151 Calculus I (4 credits)
- MATH 231 Introduction to Data Science (4 credits)
Plus 6-8 credit hours selected from the following in consultation with the minor advisor and limited to, at most, one statistics course (other courses may be approved with Division permission):
- BIOL 226 Biostatistics (4 credits)
- BIOL 405 Bioinformatics (4 credits)
- BUSI 113 Business Statistics (3 credits)
- ENGR 305 Engineering Statistics (3 credits)
- ENVS 205 Environmental Data Analysis (4 credits)
- ENVS 220 Introduction to GIS (4 credits)
- MATH 381 Mathematical Statistics (4 credits)
- MKTG 452 Marketing Research (3 credits)
- POLS/SOCI 230 Introduction to Data Analysis & Statistics (4 credits)
- PSYC 220 Psychological Methods & Statistics (4 credits)
Total Credit Hours = 22-24
Adding our Data Science minor with a major of interest will open a variety of career pathways for you. For instance, business majors with a data analytics minor could potentially work in fields such as marketing analytics, Human Resources analytics, finance analytics, e-commerce or accounting analytics.