Strategic Plan Process & Timeline
Summary of the Process and Timeline Used to Develop our Strategic Plan
July 2013 - June 2014 (FY14)
- September through February: numerous University leadership and Board of Trustee discussions concerning the need for a strategic plan.
- February 8: Board resolution mandating a strategic planning process.
- University leadership begins formulating process for strategic planning to include campus and board involvement as well as external facilitation.
July 2014 - June 2015 (FY15)
- Appointment of Strategic Planning Coordinating Committee (SPCC) composed of faculty and staff members Jay Cerio, Bill Dibrell (chair), Doreen Edwards, Theresa Gunn, Lou Lichtman, Gary Roberts, Rick Stephens (ex officio), Angie To, and Kathy Woughter.
- Selection of Stamats to provide external consulting support.
- Extensive surveying of faculty, staff, students, and alumni.
- Parallel working process with university and Board Strategic Planning Committee leadership to draft vision, mission, and values update.
- All-campus retreat on January 19.
- Campus-wide review and critique of draft vision, mission, and values.
- May 15: Board approval of revised vision, mission, and values.
July 2015 - June 2016 (FY16)
- Identification of three broad themes and accompanying goals for initial draft University strategic plan done with the support of Stamats.
- Development of initial draft unit plans for most campus units.
- Feedback provided on initial draft by faculty, staff, students, and Board of Trustees.
- Completion, in February, of presidential search and appointment.
July 2016 - June 2017 (FY17)
- Appointment of committees composed of SPCC and Executive Council members to build on the work of the previous academic year and to identify five-year targets for advancement, first-year student enrollment, student retention, and external programs as well as mechanisms to help balance entrepreneurial activities and fiscal responsibility. The efforts of the six committees are termed “y-axis” work. These efforts developed components of the emerging strategic plan that the SPCC had not addressed in its “x-axis” work the preceding academic year.
- Establishment of a Strategic Investment Fund (SIF) by the Board of Trustees to support strategic initiatives that grow our top-line.
- Merging of y-axis and x-axis work to develop revised draft of strategic plan.
July 2017 - February 2018 (FY18)
- August 9: retreat with members of the Executive Council, the Board of Trustee’s Strategic Planning committee, and other relevant Board committee chairs and leaders to review working draft of strategic plan and identify steps to finalize and began executing on it.
- Extensive feedback on draft strategic plan provided by faculty, staff, students, alumni, and advisory board members through meetings of councils/senates/boards; a series of smaller-group gatherings composed of faculty/staff (current as well as emeritus), students, and alumni; larger-group alumni gatherings; and individual interactions with members of our community (by email, phone, Skype, or in person).
- Development of revised unit plans consistent with the strategic plan.
- Development of a five-year financial plan consistent with the strategic plan.
- Articulation of how the strategic plan advances Alfred University’s mission, vision, and values.
- Identification of annual metrics to help gauge progress in executing the strategic plan and thus foster accountability and ongoing learning.