Summer Arts Workshops Additional Information
Information on housing, meals, policies and more for workshop participants joining us for Alfred Summer Arts.
On-campus housing: Dormitory style housing is available for $100 per week.
Off-campus housing: If you choose to stay off-campus, it is still possible to enroll in our meal plan options and participate in all day/night activities taking place during your workshop.
Optional meal plans through campus dining services are available:
- 4 Week Meal Plan: $980 (includes 20 breakfasts, 26 lunches and 26 dinners)
- 2 Week Meal Plan: $460 (includes 10 breakfasts, 12 lunches, and 12 dinners)
- 1 Week Meal Plan: $200 (includes 5 breakfasts, 5 lunches, and 5 dinners)
Limited dining options are available within walking distance of campus.
Workshop Tuition Costs
- 4 weeks - $2,000
- 2 weeks - $1,000
- 1 week - $500
- 1 day - $100
Registration Fee: $30
Processing Fee and Deposits
When registering for a workshop, you will be charged the following:
- Course tuition
- Processing fee
- Materials fee for that course (if one is required by the instructor)
You may make additional selections such as housing and meal plans, which will be charged at the time of registration.
Registration Fees and Deadline
Registration takes place online, and there is a $30 processing fee for all participants. Registration is on a first come, first serve basis and continues until workshops are filled.
We offer tuition discounts to local residents within 50 miles of Alfred and K-12 teachers. For more information and discount codes, please contact Chrissy Ziese, Special Programs Coordinator for the Arts.
Refunds and Cancellations
You may cancel anytime up to 30 days prior to the beginning of a workshop and receive a refund minus the $30 non-refundable processing fee and a cancellation fee of $100.
If you cancel less than 30 days prior to the beginning of the workshop, refunds are not available due to deadlines for material acquisitions and artist travel agreements.
If it is necessary for Alfred to cancel a workshop for any reason, participants will be notified and offered an alternative class or a full refund. We are not able to offer reimbursement for non-refundable travel expenses.
Cost of Materials/Studio Fees
Course tuition does not include the cost of materials needed for the workshops. Some workshops will require participants to bring certain materials and most of the workshops will have a materials fee. This fee will vary depending on the materials needed for each workshop. Materials fees also support the maintenance and upkeep of our studio facilities.
If the workshop you wish to register for is full, we invite you to place your name on our waiting list. If a space in the workshop becomes available, we will contact applicants in order, by the date received. You are not required to place a deposit in order to be placed on the waiting list.
Alfred University Policies and Regulations
- To provide a safe and supportive educational environment for all those involved in Alfred Summer Arts programs, we ask that faculty, staff, and participants treat facilities with consideration and respect.
- Drugs and Alcohol are prohibited in studios.
- Personal Property: Alfred is not responsible for the person property of participants, instructors, or staff.
- Animals: No pets are permitted on campus, with exception to Certified Service Animals.
- Unacceptable Behavior: Alfred reserves the right to dismiss any student, without refund, for unacceptable behavior that is disruptive to the workshop working and living environment.
- Workshop participants should comply with Alfred University COVID policies outlined here: Wellness Center COVID-19 Information.
Alfred University is 81 miles from Rochester and 90 miles from Buffalo. The most convenient way to get to Alfred is by car, however Alfred will also offer a shuttle service to and from Frederick Douglass Greater Rochester International Airport which will be available for each session for a fee of $50 one way or $100 round trip. Please contact us for more information on the shuttle service and times.
Students and participants should plan to arrive to the Alfred Campus prior to 5:00 pm on Sunday. You will receive communication via email regarding welcome events.
Sessions will conclude on Friday evenings with Saturday morning departures. Friday evening dinner will be the last meal offered. Departures will take place Saturdays by 10:00 am.