Lights! Camera! Action!
Our Film Studies minor is interdisciplinary in nature and has the potential to connect a broad spectrum of subject areas and can be combined with any major. It is intended for anyone who would like to better understand the film industry, film history, analysis, video production and editing.
Requirements for the minor in Film Studies:
- COMM 215 Introduction to Film (4 credits)
- COMM 304 History of the Motion Picture (4 credits)
Select up to 12 credits of electives:
Upper-level courses (300 and 400 level) preferred
- COMM 216 Video Production
- COMM 300 Special Topics in Film Studies
(recent Special Topics in Film Studies include Birth of the Movies, Journalism & the Movies, International Film and Film Noir)
- COMM 412 Gender & American Film
- COMM 426 Screenwriting
- ENGL 225 Shakespeare & Cinema
- MUSC 214 Reel Music in America
Total Credit Hours = 20
Our Film Studies minor will enhance your opportunities in a wide range of careers such as journalism, media consulting, public relations and arts administration. It can also lead to careers in filmmaking, directing, editing and film criticism. You will also be prepared to pursue graduate programs.