Mission, Vision & Goals
The School of Art and Design is a community that fosters a comprehensive multi-disciplinary environment for research and practice in the visual arts. The programs focus on developing an individual’s skills and intellect through theory, technological innovation and creative investigation.
To engage both traditional and emerging forms, embrace technology and the sensory nature of art making, activate thinking through material in order to provide a unique and multifaceted context for creative explorations and intense academic research in art.
- Enhance and articulate the mission and purpose of the School of Art and Design to strengthen awareness of the distinctive character of its programs.
- Develop/Expand/Implement innovative undergraduate and graduate programs that involve students in creative problem solving and academic excellence in order to graduate artists, designers, and scholars who are engaged in the changing roles of art and design in the world.
- Develop and sustain collaborative initiatives and encourage creative relationships among art students and professionals that lead to new knowledge and learning opportunities.
- Develop a comprehensive strategy for supporting creative activity and research.
- Foster an understanding of the role of art as a generative agent within society in order to prepare individual students to be engaged, critical, and productive citizens.
Accepted by acclamation at the School of Art and Design faculty meeting February 1, 2012.