Education - Art
Focusing on learning processes of children
If your love of being in the classroom intersects with your love of the arts, the Art Education minor at Alfred University is for you. Rooted in a fine arts curriculum, this course of study also prepares you for teacher certification in New York State.
While minoring in Art Education, you will be enrolled in the appropriate baccalaureate programs in either the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences or the School of Art and Design of the New York State College of Ceramics, in addition to completing the minor requirements of the Middle/Adolescence Education program.
Are you interested in teaching visual arts? You should consult a faculty member in the art education program before planning a program of major studies. You may complete the appropriate course work in education to receive certification to teach visual arts.
In addition to your major requirements, Art Education minors must complete the following sequence of professional education courses:
- First-Year or Sophomore Year
- EDUC 230 - Psychological Foundations of Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 231 - Social Foundations of Education (3 credits)
- Junior Year
- EDUC 405 - Literacy in the Content Areas (3 credits)
- SPED 456 - Human Development: Exceptionality (3 credits)
- Senior Year (2 or 3 semesters)
- EDUC 345 - Education Fieldwork (3 credits)
- EDUC 491 - Current Methods in the Teaching of Art (3 credits)
or EDUC 489 - Current Teaching Methods: Adolescent Subjects
- EDUC 460 - Seminar in Teaching and Professional Development - Art Education (3 credits)
- EDUC 463 - Student Teaching in Art Education* (12 credits)
*Alfred University offers you the opportunity to apply for an Applied & Experiential Learning Experience (APEX) grant which can provide up to $1,000 to support you during your student teaching semester.
The sequence above represents a typical progression. Your academic advisor will work with you to create a schedule that meets your specific needs.
Entrance Requirements for the Minor
Alfred University maintains high standards for all students admitted into our education programs. You may apply for admission into the visual arts education minor at the beginning of your junior year.
- Are enrolled in a bachelor of Fine Arts major and are recommended by their major division
- Have met GPA and course grade minimums
- Complete and pass an application interview
Alfred University is an approved teacher preparation program for New York State Visual Arts (preK - 12) teacher certification. In order to meet the NYSED requirements for initial certification, teacher candidates at Alfred University are equipped to take the following three NYSTE examinations:
- Content Specialty Test (CST) - Visual Arts
- Educating All Students Exam (EAS)
- edTPA - Visual Arts
Graduates of Alfred University's Education Division have an outstanding placement rate. They excel in their professional careers because they:
- Learn how to convert their knowledge of a subject matter into compelling lessons that meet the needs of all learners
- Act on their knowledge in a caring and professional manner that leads to achievement for all learners
- Learn how to learn
- Develop multicultural perspectives and understanding
- Are comfortable with the use of technology to enhance learning