Our Arthur O. Eve (A.O.E.) Opportunity Programs (HEOP/EOP) recruit, enroll and provide undergraduate academic and financial support to NYS high school graduates who meet the program qualifications
What are the A.O.E Opportunity Programs?
The Arthur O. Eve Opportunity Programs (HEOP and EOP) at Alfred University are programs that recruit, enroll, and provide undergraduate academic and financial support to NYS high school graduates who meet the program qualifications. The programs target NYS residents who demonstrate that they come from historically disadvantaged backgrounds (academically and economically).
HEOP (Higher Education Opportunity Program) is a partnership between Alfred University and the New York State Education Department and is funded jointly between the two. It is intended for private colleges and universities.
EOP (Educational Opportunity Program) is a sister program for public institutions within the State University of New York system.
Alfred University has both programs because of our affiliation with the State University of New York.
Services We Offer:
- Personal, financial, and academic counseling
- Mandatory summer transitional program
- Career exploration
- Academic skills assistance
- Academic monitoring
- Organized study hall
- Financial support for educational expenses
- Five years of funding for undergraduate degree completion
The following criteria must be met to be considered for either HEOP or EOP at Alfred University:
- Must be a New York State resident
- Must have received a high school diploma or state approved General Equivalency Diploma (GED)
- Must be a first time student who has not attended college prior to admission
- The admission decision will be based on but not limited to the following:
- SAT or ACT
- High school GPA
- Class rank
- Type of course work completed
- Internal motivation
- Commitment to learning
- Appreciation for education
- Meet New York State's Economic Guidelines
- Please note that each institution has its own set of academic eligibility guidelines even though financial guidelines are the same
- Students being considered for the Opportunity Programs cannot meet criteria for regular admission
Our (mandatory) Summer Transitional Program gives you a jump start on your Alfred experience
- You’ll make friends with the other students in the program
- You’ll know your way around campus and the community before the other first-year students arrive
- Learn what resources both the campus and Alfred community have to assist you
- You’ll meet and build relationships with AU faculty and staff
- You will get a taste of what is expected of you academically through the following courses:
- College Math Skills
- College Reading Skills
- College Success Skills
- Career Exploration
- Counseling Advisement
- There is no cost associated with participation in this program and it doesn’t cost you anything to attend
The Arthur O. Eve Opportunity Programs at Alfred University are committed to the philosophy that all individuals should be given a chance to develop their skills and knowledge, as well as an awareness of their roles and responsibilities in society. We are dedicated to teaching our students to strive for excellence through encouragement while challenging them to believe in their own abilities to succeed. The partnership we share with our students through academic, personal, financial, and career support allows them to reach their fullest potential.