Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics
A program in demand!
As today's global marketplace continues to evolve with emerging technologies, almost all businesses are dependent on people with analytical skills to interpret data to guide their organizational decision making. With Alfred University’s interdisciplinary business analytics program curriculum, you will acquire a vast range of skills and experience within the intersections of business and data analysis.
Program ContactMark Lewis email@example.com 607-871-2124
The business analytics degree program at AU will have you studying financial and managerial accounting, international business and economics, marketing, and more. Equipping you with the skills you need to understand and execute data-driven business practices, the BS in business analytics provides both a depth and breadth of business knowledge.
At the end of the program, you will complete a capstone project that reflects your hard work and accomplishments, positioning you to enter the job market with the tools you need to succeed.
Business Analytics Major
Students enrolled in the BS in business analytics degree program will need to complete the Arts and Sciences Core plus enough arts and sciences electives totaling a minimum of 60 liberal arts credit hours. Students will also take the courses listed in the Business Professional Core.
In addition, all Business Analytics majors must take:
- DATA 156 Introduction to Computing
- DATA 201 Analytics II
- DATA 202 Data Visualization & Analysis
- DATA 203 Current Topics in Data Analytics
- DATA 205 Introduction to Database Systems
- DATA 401 Analytics Capstone Course
- DATA 402 Analytics Seminar
- ECON 310 Applied Econometrics
Plus another 9 credits in business electives.
Business Professional Core Requirements
- ACCT 211 Financial Accounting
- ACCT 212 Managerial Accounting
- BUSI 105 Business Perspectives
- BUSI 106 Contemporary Business
- BUSI 457 International Business
or FIN 458 International Financial Management
or ECON 412 International Economics
or MKTG 489 International Marketing
- BUSI 499 Business Policy
- FIN 348 Managerial Finance
- LAW 241 The Legal Environment of Business
- MGMT 328 Management and Organizational Behavior
- MGMT 484 Operations Management
- MIS 390 Introduction to Management Information Systems
- MKTG 221 Marketing Principles and Management
Arts and Sciences Core
- BUSI 113 Descriptive Analytics and Statistics
- BUSI 213 Research Methods for Business
- BUSI 150 Business Analytics Math
- ECON 201 Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 202 Principles of Macroeconomics
- ENGL 101 Writing I
- ENGL 102 Writing II
- MIS 101 Analytics I
- UNIV 101 Common Ground
Social Sciences (minimum)
Natural Sciences (minimum)
- Writing requirements are specified in the Catalog under General Education Requirements for Liberal Arts and Sciences, Basic Competencies, Written Communication.
The Bachelor of Science in Business Analytics degree is composed of professional core courses shared by all majors, business courses specific to each major, business electives totaling 48 credits in business, arts and sciences, and general education core courses specified for business, and liberal arts electives to reach a minimum of 60 credits of liberal arts courses (as required for all Bachelor of Science degrees). Depending on the major, you will take additional electives to reach the total of 120 credit hours required for graduation. You are also required to:
- Complete a minimum of 30 credit hours in upper division business courses
- Maintain at least a 2.0 grade point average overall
- One Personal Fitness course (credits not included in the 120 credits required for graduation) and one Wellness Course.
- Satisfy the University's Global Perspectives requirement
After your first year is complete, we urge all business students to gain the valuable, real-world experience only an internship can offer.
- Most internships occur during the summer months between semesters
- Each credit hour you'll earn equals 45 hours of work; you'll figure out the actual schedule with your site supervisor
- Internships may or may not be paid, depending on your host organization
- Grades are assessed based on complete, timely submission of all required internship documentation, with the final learning report weighted most heavily
Students in the business analytics program can strengthen their career opportunities by earning a Master of Business Administration (MBA) degree in one year after completing their undergraduate degree. This streamlined, competitive opportunity allows AU undergraduate students to earn both their undergraduate degree and in an accelerated format (4+1).
The business analytics minor includes 27 total credit hours, including 21 credits from our Required Courses and 6 credits from our Electives.
- ACCT 211 Financial Accounting (3 credits)
- BUSI 113 Descriptive Analytics and Statistics (3 credits)
- BUSI 150 Business Analytics Math (3 credits)
- DATA 156 Introduction to Computing (3 credits)
- MIS 101 Analytics I (3 credits)
- DATA 201 Analytics II (3 credits)
- DATA 202 Data Visualization & Analytics (3 credits)
(Students must take 2 from the list)
- BUSI 322Business Intelligence (3 credits)
- ECON 310 Applied Econometrics (3 credits)
- FIN 322 Finance Analytics (3 credits)
- MGMT 322 Management Analytics (3 credits)
- MKTG 322 Marketing Analytics (3 credits)
- MKTG 452 Market Research (3 credits)
Students must complete at least half the course work at Alfred University and achieve a grade point average of at least 2.0 "C" in courses submitted for completion of the minor.
Business Analytics Program Career Outcomes
The world is seeing explosive growth in data, computing power, and software ability. The demand for professionals with business analytical skills is growing quickly due to "big data'' initiatives. Through our interdisciplinary curriculum and hands-on internship program, you'll be prepared to help organizations better analyze data and make more strategic and sound operational decisions.
Success Rate: 98% of our graduates are employed full-time or entered graduate school after six months of graduation. You will be prepared to effectively discover insights, communicate, and strategize in whatever industry you find yourself in.
What Can I Do With My Business Analytics Degree?
The demand for business analytics graduates is on a rapid rise as almost every big organization struggles to derive the maximum value from their investments and resources and seeks well-trained business analytics professionals. There is a predicted 50-60% gap by 2020 in the supply of graduates capable of performing advanced analytics and providing data-driven insights. Graduates can pursue careers as:
- Financial Advisors
- Supply Chain Advocates
- Data Architects
- Big Data Analysts
- Data Change Agents
- Applied Business Analysts
- Business Intelligence Analysts
- Data Scientists
- Budget Analysts
Where Can I Work?
Data analysts are adaptable individuals with a discerning and driven mindset, ready to take risks and make discoveries. As such, those who work in the business sector as data analysts can find careers in top industries like:
- Financial Organizations
- Mobile Services
- Human Resources